Frozen testing chemicals

May 24, 2013
Essex County, NJ
In the fall I thought I brought all of my FAS-DPD testing chemicals in the house to protect from freezing. I just found an 8oz bottle of the CYA reagent R-0013 in my shed frozen solid. I've heard that some testing chemicals should not be used after being frozen. Is R-0013 a chemical that can be used after being frozen or should I just toss the bottle?

Dave will probably have the definitive answer, but R-0013 is pretty inert. I'd thaw it out and run a test on your pool water and see how it does. You should have an idea of how much CYA was in the pool water when you closed it. Unless of course your pool is frozen. :shock:

I think it greatly depends on how you store them. The CYA is inert and the longest ... beyond that I do not know. I have a TF-100 that is over 3 years old that still gives me accurate results (SHHH ... don't tell Dave ;) ) ... although some of the regents have now been replaced when I ran out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.