Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump ran dry for long time what to look for?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump ran dry for long time what to look for?

Ok first off this happened several months ago so I feel I am ok but.....

My kids were having swing lesson at around 10AM. I leave with baby sitter and swim teacher (20yr old girl). I come home around 2-3 and my kid says I think the pool is getting too hot because it is bubbling. I look outside and the swim teacher removed the vacuum cleaner and put it outside the pool. This was about 4 hours later. The water was bubbling out of the ports.

The pump has been working fine since but at shut off it shoots a small squirt of water out of the seal. I also noticed the water pressure went from say 15-20lbs.

The season is about to start and if there is going to be an issue I would rather do it now. Could the pressure just be a coincidence?

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Pump ran dry for long time what to look for?

I also noticed the water pressure went from say 15-20lbs.
    Clarify, please. What is your normal pressure? What is it now?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

It was about 15 and is now about 20

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

An increase in psi most always indicates your filter has become dirty and needs to be backwashed/cleaned.

That ""kick-back" of water from the pump basket lid (when the pump turns off) usually means you have a suction side air leak. Pool School has an article on how to find and fix it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

For some pumps, the squirt out of the pump lid when the pump is shut off is normal. Many IG pump lids are designed to seal under suction but are not so good for pressure. So as long as air does not leak into the pump basket when the pump is running, I wouldn't be concerned.

But when a pump runs dry, the seal may fail so you want to look for a small water leak at the base of the pump.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater