Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spa spillover

1. Back To Top    #1

Spa spillover

Quick question! We have an in ground pool and spa. We have a Pentair VS pump as well. We run the pump at 2400 rpm's, and we notice that the water does not spill like it should out from the spa to the pool (we have two spillovers). My question is, should the water be spilling properly into the pool, without touching the side of the spa like we thought it would, at the 2400 rpm?

Thanks
    27100 gallon in ground Pool/Spa, SWG, Pebble Sheen-Aqua Blue, (All Pentair Equipment) Pentair VS Pump, Cartridge- filter, build completed Dec. 2013, Houston, Texas

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spa spillover

Has it ever worked/looked right at 2400 rpm?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply. No it still looks like it runs down the side instead of the spa instead of pouring into the pool. We are new to this and just don't know if the spillovers work at different speeds instead of 3400 rpms which is the top speed.
    27100 gallon in ground Pool/Spa, SWG, Pebble Sheen-Aqua Blue, (All Pentair Equipment) Pentair VS Pump, Cartridge- filter, build completed Dec. 2013, Houston, Texas

4. Back To Top    #4

How wide are the spillovers?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

They are about 18 inches wide. I just don't know if this a workmanship problem by the PB or if all spillovers In order to operate need the pump ran at the highest rate of rpm. Thanks

6. Back To Top    #6

My spa spill over runs down the rocks when on pool mode and has a spill over effect when I turn it on spill mode. Spill mode on my pool is when the automation turns off all returns in the pool and forces all returned water to the spa.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

7. Back To Top    #7

I have a Hayward ecostar pump, at lower speeds it just trickles down the spill way, at higher speeds its like a water fall!
    in pool mode. I'm not sure what hp that pump is but moves the water well in my 18x36 pool with 7ft raised spa.

80% speed.

8. Back To Top    #8

If I understand your configuration, if you are not getting any spill over then you are taking the same amount of water from the spa drain that is returning to the spa (obviously). Unless I'm missing something it does not sound like an RPM issue.

My system is configured so that in pool mode water is not sucked from the spa drain but some water returns to the spa (as well as to the pool) allowing for the spill over. In spa mode all of the water is taken and returned to the spa so that there is no spill over.

I would check your return and suction line valves to make sure it's not sucking/returning the same amount of water to the spa (unless you are in spa mode).
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

I see your pool is new. Check with your PB. If you are pulling water from the main drain and pumping it into the spa, your pump should easy move enough water to have a substantial flow over your two 18" spillways.