Pool Heater vs. Heat Pump

Jan 23, 2014
Can't make up my mind...

In Kansas City we have a 18' X 36' inground with deep end (approx. 25,000 gallons). Our pool equipment is in the garage. Originally we were looking at a Heat Cool Pump, but we'd have to run lines out of the garage which would put the unit on our back patio (not ideal), unless there's a model that can be indoors that I'm not aware of. I like the operation costs of a heat pump and don't mind paying more upfront cost for the unit. On the other hand I'd like to keep all the equipment in the garage. We have a gas line right next to the pool pump for the heater in the garage, so installing a natural gas heater would be easily done. A bit worried about the operational costs though.

The Raypak 8350ti Heat Cool Pump was what I was looking at if we went the outside route (noise would be an issue if we have it on the back patio. Who makes the quietest unit?). And the Hayward H250FD was recommended by someone for a gas heater. Haven't looked into electric heaters because of the operational costs.

Never had a heat pool and we are all excited to get something installed. Anyone with recommendations and info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

I would stay clear of the Hayward gas heaters. In the past two years I have seen nothing but issue after issue with them. Do a little searching here and you will see what I'm talking about.

This is an outdoor pool, correct?

In your climate, you can get a little extension on either end of the pool season with a heater but likely not more than a month.

A solar cover is mandatory. Your operational costs will still be quite high depending on how often you uncover the pool to swim.

S&A Moon said:
Thanks Paul, I was just researching the gas heaters more and found the same advise on the Haywards. Have you had experience with EnergyRite or Raypak?

I only work with gas heaters and I find that Raypak is a pretty solid product.

Thanks for all the replies.

I think Raypak is the route we want to go. Looking at the Raypak 333k BTU Cupro Nickel Heat Exchanger Model # C-R336A-EP-X 010212. Any thoughts on this unit? I was wrong earlier, our pool is actually about 27,000 gallons, not 25k. And yes, it is an outdoor pool. Will the efficiency of the heater be better if the unit is in the garage? We have a solar 12 mil blanket and the pool gets direct sunlight most of the day, except in the early morning until about 9 or 9:30am. Shaded at about 6pm.

Out of curiosity, why are you looking at a Cupro Nickel heat exchanger unit? It's really unnecessary if you maintain your pools chemical levels correctly.

Well, originally I thought I wouldn't need the Cupro Nickle, but after thinking about it, thought it may be worth the expense. We have a house full of kids and when they're using the pool everyday in the summer it can be hard keeping the chemicals right. I usually shock the pool at least once a week. Ph and alkalinity are usually good once I get it started for the season. The chlorine was my main concern because of how much use the pool gets. You think I'd be alright without the cupro nickle?

Sounds like you need to read up on our methods of pool maintenance ;) ... you should never need to "shock" the pool every week.

I think the only reason for the nickel is if the pH gets too low.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Grateful to be on this site. Thanks TFP for all the help!!! :cheers:

I'm learning....
So I bought the house 2 seasons ago and never knew anything about pools before. Previous owner showed me the ins and outs of how he maintained it. After a couple seasons still learning the right and wrong way of doing this.

I use 3" Chlorine tabs in the feeder with the feeder setting on 2 or 3, and still goes through it pretty quick. Then usually on Sunday nights I throw about 1 - 1 1/2 scoops (24oz scoop) of granular chlorine. Been keeping the alkalinity around 110ppm and pH is maintained around 7.3 - 7.6. We could have 10 kids in the pool 4 or 5 days a week in the summer so I've just always thought to add the shock after the weekends. Is this too much?

What is your CYA level? With all the tablets and if that granular is Dichlor, then it could be sky high and make it near impossible to keep the pool clear.

Have you started reading any of Pool School yet?

Note the forum will be down over the weekend, so read fast ;)

No, I haven't checked out the Pool School yet. I'll take a look.

The pool remains crystal clear. We actually get quite a few compliments on how clear it looks. I check the chlorine level every couple days, but I've never checked the CYA so I'll look into it. Could the CYA level cause me to go through more chlorine that usual?

Thanks for the help. And thanks for the heads up on the site being down.

I am about 2 1/2 hours East of you. For a pool without an auto cover I wouldn't really recommend a heat pump. My experience with them is they have to be outdoors, cannot be in an enclosed building. Gas heaters I would recommend either Pentair or Raypak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.