Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Settings

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Settings

I have a new pool and am curious if my pump is set up for optimal operation, in terms of energy efficiency. I have a 17k gallon pool / spa combo, with the spa raised up 2 feet and spilling into the pool. My equipment is in my signature. My pump is currently set at 2465 rpm and runs at the same speed for 9 hours. The tech who set up the equipment said it is set up correctly, however, I have been reading a lot of information saying I should run it lower for a longer period. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
    In Ground Pool / Raised Spa - 17K Gallons
    Grey colored plaster
    Pentair Clean and Clear Plus Cartridge Filter / Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump
    Kreepy Krawler Vacuum
    Date of Pool - Dec '13

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Pump Settings

Welcome to TFP!!!

The most efficient speed for that pump is around 1000 RPM. So lowering the speed could certainly save you a good bit of money. Also, you may not need to increase the run time. Please read this: pool-school/pump_run_time

One caveat, running at that low of a speed may not give enough suction for your vacuum to operate correctly. If not, you will either want to run at a higher speed for a short period for the vac and then switch back to 1000 RPM for some more time. Or, if you want the vac to run longer, dial up the pump speed to find the minimum where the vac operates (which you would want to do in the first case as well).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Lakeland, FL

Re: Pump Settings

Jason hit the nail on the head. Definitely read the pump run time link. I adjust my run time several times throughout the year. My water always looks clear.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Lakeland Florida