Melbourne, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Good evening folks, It's been a while since I've posted and I have had my share of repair experiences. Please allow me to start off by saying that when my automation system is working, it is virtually second to none. I enjoy it very much and its definitely suits my needs (when it is operating properly). I own what I consider a very nice Pentair setup comprising of their 60SF DE Filter, Easytouch 4 remote with panel, variable speed pump, intellibrite LED pool and spa lights and the 400K BTU gas heater. I am in the last 6 months of my 3 year warranty coverage and I'm very concerned right now about reliability. Within the past year or so I have had an Easytouch "main board" replaced, a spa light replaced, and 3 Compool automated valves replaced/repaired. Right now I am experiencing my 4th automated valve issue and am at a loss as to the chronic problems that are occurring, I had a brief chat with the Pentair service rep out of North Carolina this morning and expressed my concern that I'll be pretty much "hung out to dry" once the 3 year warranty period is over. I asked if there was anything that Pentair could do to extend the warranty coverage for a period of reasonable time until my Pentair system "stabilizes" and shows signs of being more dependable. I explained that I was very concerned about Pentair product reliability at this point and his response was to simply approach my pool builder and ask how they installed it. I am not pleased with his implied belief that it was the pool builder's fault. Heck, my system had been working quite well for the first couple of years! To add a bit of salt to the wound, Pentair has only one authorized pool contractor in my area and they are stretched to the limit.

I just have a few questions regarding my situation ... has anyone else had failure rates like I have had? If so, was there a common root cause? At some point would Pentair send one of their "Company" techs out to inspect my system? I am at my wits end regarding these repair problems, all I desire is a system that is reliable and not a perpetual money pit (aka Pentair Profit Center)

Thank You

Re: Pentair Warranty - Its Been an Interesting Year of Failu

Karl said:
Within the past year or so I have had an Easytouch "main board" replaced, a spa light replaced, and 3 Compool automated valves replaced/repaired. Right now I am experiencing my 4th automated valve issue and am at a loss as to the chronic problems that are occurring,

Can you provide details of each failure?

The only connections I could make from this limited information, is a "Bad power feed" to the Easytouch panel, which would provide low voltage to all these devices. Easy to check.

I agree with Jerry. The problems your having are all electrical related. Have you had any power surges or storms that could have caused this? It certainly could be a part failure too. I have all Pentair equipment also & my 3 years ends next month. I have to say the only problem I have had is the SWG not working correctly & that just started.

Reading threads like these contributed to me not going with automation. I deal with it on a routine basis at work, and don't wan the problems at home.

We haven't heard of a lot of failures of any of the components that you listed, so I think it's an individual install issue. As others have said the failures you listed appear to be all electrical in nature. Living in Melbourne you're subject to a lot of lightning strikes and therefore power surges. If you don't have surge surpressor on the house and/or the system, I'd seriously consider adding one. Beyond that I really don't know what to suggest.

My local Pentair warranty folks stopped by last Friday and replaced the offending valve. Pentair suggested that I contact my PB ... which I did in order to double-check the electric install. Unsure of what they'll be investigating short of a proper ground. I have heard of the circuit breaker style of surge protectors that are on the market, I'm thinking that may be good insurance in case of lightning this coming summer.

KARL

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.