Your thoughts: Old Jandy RS4 and Hayward Ecostar VSP

Jan 22, 2014
Corona, CA
New to the forum and was looking for some advise & thoughts on my recent setup changes. I have been lurking here and on other sites gathering info for my recent pump upgrade. This has been a journey figuring out how to integrate a VSP into a 2002 Jandy RS4 automation system. I have been amazed at how many pool professionals, retail shops, and company reps are uneducated and or misinformed about automation, VSP, and how to make them work together.

Background on system: Inground plaster pool 21'x35' with spa elevated 2' above pool. Pump was a single speed Pentair Whisperflo 2hp, Purex Triton 4000 DE 48sqft filter, Puerex Triton MiniMax 400 heater, Hayward Navigator cleaner, Jandy RS4 w/ All Button Controller Jandy 24v control valves on intake and out for automated spa mode. Pool was completed in Jan. 2002 and I live Inland Southern California.

So the WhisperFlo was still running but beginning to leak water and it was time to upgrade to a quieter more energy efficient pump.

I was not looking to upgrade anything that did need to be since the system was operating, and I was content with the automation features of the Jandy RS4.

So I decided on the Hayward Ecostar 3400 VSP for its energy efficiency and ability to be controlled in "Relay Mode". Which would allow me to use my existing Jandy RS4 with a little creative wiring.

So here is what I did... Ecostar AC is wired to 220v Jandy RS4 pump relay, and the Ecostar controller is placed in "Relay Mode" This turns on the pump to relay mode speed 1 Speed 1 is my high speed filtration mode to run the navigator.

I previously had 3 aux relay wired to #1 Spa Blower, #2 Spa light, #3 Pool Light. I placed both my pool light and spa light on Aux relay #2 and this allowed relay #3 to be available to send an automation signal to the Ecostar.

So I ran the necessary 24v control wires from the Ecostar to Jandy relay #3. This allows me to select my low speed filtration mode from the Jandy while the Ecostar is operating.

I then spliced into my Jandy intake automation valve and ran the common and 1 switched 24v wire back to the Ecostar there by giving me an automation signal when the Jandy goes into spa mode to increase my Ecostar to high speed to run the spa effectively.

So currently my Ecostar is setup with 4 speeds being controlled by the Jandy RS4:
Speed 1: Pool Filter & Cleaner @ 2600 RPM 1,000 watts
Speed 2: Pool Filter Low @ 1750 RPM 350 watts
Speed 3: Spa Mode @ 3000 RPM 1500 watts
Speed 4: Not really used but programed to @ 3000 RPM in case spa is run with Aux#3 activated (duplicates spa speed)

This is all possible by placing the Ecostar in Relay Mode and then programing the speeds that I wish to use with the Ecostar when it receives the correct 24v input signal to one of the relay mode inputs.

I have set my RS4 to turn on the pump and run speed #1High for 2 hours daily, and then activate Aux#3 for another 4hours daily at speed #2 Low.

It seems to be working well, but I am new to the VSP and looking for advise on run times and best speeds to be efficient.

At Speed #1 2600 the Navigator and spa water fall seem to operate as the use to with the single speed pump and show the same 15 pounds on a clean DE gauge. At Speed #2 1750 the the Navigator does not move, but I have good flow through the surface skimmer nice flow from the water fall.... plus my heater pressure light illuminates and the heater runs.

I think I have done the best I can do with the hardware without any major upgrades and having the 3 speeds that I can select should give me the majority of the variable speed pump operations.

Looking for thoughts and advise on tweaking my speeds and run times from those of you with VSP pump experience, and any other advise on my setup.... did I miss anything?

Doug

Doug,

I am at a similar stage in pump replacement as you went through and would like to pick your brain about the process...I have an Aqualink RS8 controller running a 2hp Challenger energy hog pump, a setup leftover from the late 90's...and am finding out the same things about the so-called "experts" as you regarding controlling a new VS or 2-speed pump with the Aqualink.

Perhaps an email or a phone call would be ok?

If so, I can be contacted at:

aggies78 AT gmail DOT com

Best Regards,

Rob S.
Austin, Texas

I installed the Hayward Ecostar SP3400VSP about 6 months ago, using my older Jandy RS Aqualink system. I didn't have time to complete the control system at the time (only attached it to the filter pump relay for on/off control) and setting various pump speeds manually.

First, search the web (vsp ecostar technical guide) and download the “technical guide” for the pump (not the user manual). The guide contains lots of photos and does a good job of showing and explaining the relay control mode (too big to upload here). I also found an Aqualink RS installation workbook and a troubleshooting manual that provided a lot of good info about the control system. This link may work: http://www.nuccibros.com/sec_0934drRb_dl/data_sheets/EcoStar-Technical-Guide.pdf

I like the general approach by FireDoug, but recent cold weather got me to thinking that I will program the default speed to be super low. This is so that when the Aqualink goes into freeze-protect mode, it will be a low speed. The pump is located on the opposite side of my bedroom headboard wall. When the freeze protection kicks on I will hear high speed but not low speed. Plus, the pump won’t lose prime at low speed if the skimmers are full of leaves on a cold night (low speed won't suck air through the skimmers when they are full).

I have an Aqualink JS6. All JS systems have a spa-mode aux relay control on the back of the control board (on newer boards, Dip switch 6 controls the function of spa-aux). My board is too old, the Dip switch has no effect (so my logic chart is a bit backwards). I found a Waterpik Jandy control systems 6581 relay (3 hp) on ebay for $14 and free shipping. It is identical to the other relays that are installed in the panel. I also combined pool and spa lighting to free up my aux5 relay. Using Aux5 and Spa-Aux, I have four speed choices (two in spa mode, two in pool mode). The default speed in pool mode is low. Enabling Aux5 provides high speed (I also use this relay when the cleaner is running).

My initial setup looks like this (it's not code, I just wanted to make a table):
Code:
[LEFT][FONT=Courier New]
Speed Description	Setting (%)	Aux5	Spa-Aux	
1	Spa high	100		off	off	(spa mode)
2	Spa low	        75		on	off	(spa mode)
3	Pool low	54		off	on	(pool mode)
4	Pool high 	95		on	on	(pool mode)[/FONT][/LEFT]

I’ll adjust the speeds in the coming days. Speed 3 is my low speed and is the default in the pool mode. Enabling Aux5 switches the pump to high speed in the pool mode and to a lower speed in the spa mode (for a more relaxing soak!). Others will be able to use Dip SW6 on the Aqualink control panel to change the behavior of Spa-Aux (to OFF in pool mode and ON in spa mode).

I'll program Aux5 to activate whenever the pool cleaner (Polaris 380 w/booster pump) is selected.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.