Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello. New family from New Orleans.

1. Back To Top    #1

Hello. New family from New Orleans.

Hello to everyone. My name is Thomas and I'm very, very glad to be a part of this forum. I'm from New Orleans, la and as of December 1013, a new pool owner. Purchased a foreclosed home with 10 y/o inground swamp. I'm very anxious and excited to meet many members of the forum and in the same process, turn this backyard eye sore into the oasis I know it can be. Thanks.
    18-20k g I/G concrete. Triton sand filter. 2 hp cintron pump.
    Let's go swimming...

2. Back To Top    #2
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: Hello. New family from New Orleans.

Welcome to tfp, Tjmac

This is a good post to get you started:
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Lakeland, FL

Welcome to the forums. Pool School is a great place to learn. It will be overwhelming at first, but don't be afraid to ask questions. A lot of us have been through it.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies and warm welcoming. I spent much of yesterday reading the articles in pool school (lots of important info there). Today I read several other articles regarding green and cloudy pools. I also finally purchased a good test kit along with the vacuum hoses and attachment today. Just about ready to give it a good shot...
    18-20k g I/G concrete. Triton sand filter. 2 hp cintron pump.
    Let's go swimming...

5. Back To Top    #5
    South Carolina

Hi Thomas and welcome to TFP

You have come to the right place! You know that we will help you
    turn this backyard eye sore into the oasis I know it can be
    Got lotsa members waiting to help you
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Good on you for reading Pool School first! Just be aware: if your CYA is high, you need to be verrrrrry careful about draining and replacement. Where you live, this is a real possibility news-video-pool-drained-floats-up-out-of-ground-t71199.html
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7
    Mandeville, Louisiana

Welcome to the forum. I am in Mandeville and we have several members from the area. Good luck. This forum will make your pool life a breeze!
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

8. Back To Top    #8
    DFW, Texas

Welcome to TFP! By reading the Pool School articles and purchasing a good test kit, you are well on your way to a sparkling pool.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.