Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: copper sulfate instead of chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

copper sulfate instead of chlorine

i have a bad hard water problem down here in mexico,and when i add chlorine the water turns green.i tried everything and then my friend told me about copper sulfate.now the water is crystal clear and i hardly use any chlorine at all.it`s unbelievable and alot cheaper.i`m thinking of using it in my pool in ny this summer but don`t know if it will harm the liner.anybody know if it`s safe?
    American Leak Detection
    Tech I, II, CPO
    VP, Sr Tech
    Since 1994

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: copper sulfate instead of chlorine

We do not recommend copper sulfate "algaecides", they can stain pool surfaces and cause blond hair to turn green. If you want to use an algaecide, we only recommend those containing polyquat60.

The reason your water turns color when you add chlorine is likely due to metals in your fill water. The best way to avoid this is to avoid the fill water with metal, but if that is not possible, then using a sequestrant can help avoid problems. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...metal%20stains
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree with linen ... all the copper sulfate is doing is adding more metal to the water and that is not going to sanitize the pool water. It may help prevent algae from growing, but the pool is not safe from person-to-person disease transmission.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

since it`s mostly just my wife and i using the pool ,it`s not much of a concern.i can`t get sequestraints where i am in mexico and i have tried everything for the last 2 years.this has solved the problem.i still use alittle chlorine but a fraction of what i use to use.i want to use it in my pool in ny also but want to know if it will harm my vynal liner.
    American Leak Detection
    Tech I, II, CPO
    VP, Sr Tech
    Since 1994

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

About the only harm that might occur (you will not get an absolute, definitive answer on this) is copper staining.

Whether or not that occurs no one can tell for sure until you get the staining.

It sounds like you really want to keep using it so go ahead and if you detect any staining, you can stop and go from there.

A caution to newer members reading this thread..........Copper Sulfate is NEVER suggested for any pool any time by TFP.

OP has apparently tried every option he can think of and wants to use it. That's fine but you should not think of using it in your pool when you can get chlorine.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Just make sure you always maintain at least some chlorine in the water because copper ions alone will not kill fecal bacteria (see this post for technical details).

To minimize the chance of staining, try to keep the copper level from getting too high (well below 1.0 ppm) and try and keep the pH from getting too high (well below 8.0 -- 7.5 would be a better maximum to minimize the chance for copper staining).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"