Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Multi-Symptom Filter\Pump Air Leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Multi-Symptom Filter\Pump Air Leak

First off, let me say that I am a confident pool owner based on this site alone. I sometimes cannot believe how incredibly helpful everyone is here.

Now, I have noticed that my pump basket has recently began to lose prime (water settling back into the pipes). When I start the pump up, it primes and pumps fine with pressure around 12 PSI. When I turn the pump off, it appears to be normal; however I hear noise coming out of the waste port of the filter (sounds like an air valve leaking). After doing this multiple times, it seems that the filter is losing pressure when the pump it not running and allows water to fall back slowly (does not happen immediately).

To further my testing, I lifted the lid on the basket (water fell some) but I can still hear the air leak on the waste port of the filter (with the lid off). The air leak only goes away after time or if I turn the vari-flo valve to another setting. I do not see any water coming out of the waste port. For what it's worth, the handle does not "spring up" in the locked position any more. I place it in the notch for "filter", but it does not snap into the grove (raise up).

Am I correct in thinking that I need to replace something on the multi-port vale as that's why it's leaking air? Is that also the reason for my pump loosing prime?

Thanks

Hayward Pro Series S244T - about 7-8 years old
    27K Vinyl IG Pool
    18x36, Aquarite with Goldline T-15 SWG,
    Hayward 244T Sand Filter, 1.5 HP Hayward Super Pump w/ AO Smith B129 Motor
    Taylor 2006 Test Kit
    NW Louisiana

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Multi-Symptom Filter\Pump Air Leak

I think you are on the right track......multiport valve.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Assuming that I need to replace the entire multiport valve & cannot just replace the spider gasket?
    27K Vinyl IG Pool
    Taylor 2006 Test Kit
    NW Louisiana

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

You do not need the entire multiport replaced.

Plan on the spider gasket and a new spring to get your handle engaging properly and anything else that looks worn when you open it up. All the internal parts of the MP are replaceable.......fairly easy to do, too.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Just for clarification, I have looked at Hayward's site at the parts manual for my filter (S244T) and I do not see the part number for the spider gasket or spring.
    http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/Parts%2 ... -Mount.pdf

I have also read somewhere that not every multiport has replaceable parts (must replace entire multiport). Is there another source that I can refer to so I can order the correct part?

Thanks again
    27K Vinyl IG Pool
    Taylor 2006 Test Kit
    NW Louisiana

6. Back To Top    #6

You are correct. You can't just replace the spider gasket. You need to order the diverter with the spider gasket installed.
    Make sure you have the SP0714T valve (1½" ports) and you'll need part number SPX0714CA.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Over time, the stem o-rings can get dry and dirty. This prevents the spring from pushing the diverter down with enough force to make a good seal. Sometimes you can just disassemble, clean and lubricate the gasket and o-rings.