Pump Reviews...

pwrstrk said:
Do you have any water features ?

If you could put all your pool and equipment info in your sig it will help everybody help you better. You can add the info in user control panel.
yes I know. Sorry about that I will get to it.

Atlanta suburb, 18x36' vinyl liner, 8' deep. Dedicated main pump 1.25hp AO Smith (just burned up...?) and 1hp Polaris pump, 300 lb sand filter. Water feature has own dedicated pump.

Now I've been told the 3hp var spd is too powerful for sand filter.

scratchedup said:
Now I've been told the 3hp var spd is too powerful for sand filter.
This is not true if you reduce the speed of the pump.

However, if you do not have any high volume water features that this pump must run, then it is likely overkill...unless you electricity rate is over $0.20/kwh then it might make sense. Do you know what your rates are? If they are not high then I would skip the vs pump and just replace the motor on you current pump with a 2-speed, assuming the pump section is in good shape (looks to be from the outside).

Unless you have very high electrical costs, I would only consider that VS pump if you also planned to get rid of the waterfall pump and replumb to only have a single pump.

If you are going to keep it only for filtering purposes, then get a 2-speed motor ... maybe even a smaller one and smaller impeller to save more money.

I think this is my rate- "All kWh charges/mo. 7.80¢/kWh" so I guess its pretty cheap.

Seems like the two speeds are close to the price or a vs. Are they really worth it? Plus its still a low tech motor.

Due to the freeze up coming I just disconnected, drained the system and brought all 3 of my pumps inside and confirmed the main one is bad.

At your electric rates, I think replacing the motor with a 2-speed might make sense, unless you want to combine functions like jbliz mentioned. We need to know more about your pump to help choose a 2-speed motor. Do you have a model number for the pump, if not can you snap a pic of the motor label?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have added this signature....
18’ x 36” rectangular, Liner, ~26,000 gl., 1 skimmer Supply(?) w/ 2” pipe, 3 Returns (jets), Head- ?, Sand Filter 300 lb? Unknown brand, 13 yrs old, AUTOPILOT DIG-220, Pump- Pentair Challenger #346204 w/ AO Smith 1 hp (1.25 SF) motor, Polaris 280 /Century/AO Smith 3/4hp., Feature- separate dedicated Hayward Super Pump, 1.5hp.

Help me out here please-
Two speeds pumps- Are they not pretty inefficient and expensive relative to vs or single speed?

Considering a 600 lb. sand filter. Its this worth it?

I'll let others get into the details for sizing your pump.

In general, single speed pumps are much less efficient than two-speeds or VS pumps. The decision to go VS or two-speed is largely dependent on your electricity costs. Unless your power costs are high, the initial investment of a VS pump won't be recouped.

The variable speed motors (VSM) are more efficient than a two-speed motor, but, depending on your electric rates, the additional cost of the the VSM doesn't over a two-speed you never recoup the cost difference in savings.
With the two-speed you run on half the speed, move half the water, but you save more than 1/2 on the electric. (I forget the exact details, but it's a much better return on investment.)

The motor you have listed with the time built in is a pretty good deal. You may also want to consider the 2ez speed.
http://www.americanbestpoolsupply.com/detail/129176.htm

I spoke about them in this link: great-find-2ez-speed-75hp-square-flange-2-speed-300-t42909.html?hilit=2%20speed

I was going to go with it (the 2ez .75hp), but my system is 115V not 230V. I've gone with a manual switch and a 115V .75hp motor.

Also you'll need a new shaft seal about $10 bucks or so. I brought my parts to a local place and they charged $20 to swap the motor and replace the seal. No problems.

Low speed on a 2-speed pump moved ~1/2 the water as on high speed or equivalent single speed, but uses ~1/4 the electricity. So even doubling the run time on low would give ~50% electrical savings.

A VS pump is slightly more efficient at all speeds and can run at a lower RPM for more savings, but like was previously said, it may take years for it to save more in power over running a 2-speed on low to recoup the higher initial cost.

scratchedup said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-HP-2-Speed-56Y-Frame-230V-Square-Flange-Pool-Motor-Century-B2982T-/400464026937

OPINIONS?
The B2982 is a larger motor than your current one (it has a SFHP of 1.65 and your current one is 1.25). The B2980 is a better fit assuming your voltage is 230V.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.