Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wiring pool heat pump into timer

1. Back To Top    #1

Wiring pool heat pump into timer

Hi Folks, been a while since I've posted on here, but we're happily enjoying our trouble free, low maintenance pool

This swim season, I would like to wire my heat pump into the available circuit of my timer (PE-153) so that I can control when the heat pump runs. During certain times of the year, it might only call for heat a couple of hours a day, and I would like for those couple of hours to be in the mid to late afternoon, when it is hot, rather than running when the pool pump first goes on, when it is relatively cooler.

Can the heat pump be wired into the timer? I think it is too large a load, so what about the remote switch on the heat pump? Outside of the timer, I have no other automation, and am starting to look for wiring diagrams to figure out how to accomplish this... Any thoughts?
    18k gal inground, everbrite finish, 505 sq ft; 1.5 hp two speed whisperflow; rheem 5100ti 100k btu heat pump; 3 sheer descent falls; DE filter; swg (cell out and using trichlor for now)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wiring pool heat pump into timer

What model is your heat pump? I see that it's a Rheem, but you don't list the model.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Bama, Its a 5100ti with an analog control dial. And the timer is actually a P1353ME - not sure it makes a difference...
    18k gal inground, everbrite finish, 505 sq ft; 1.5 hp two speed whisperflow; rheem 5100ti 100k btu heat pump; 3 sheer descent falls; DE filter; swg (cell out and using trichlor for now)

4. Back To Top    #4

I can't diwnload the manual, but if you have a copy look for a firemans switch or other control circuit that allows you to control the on/off time.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit