Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: replacing water to remove cya

1. Back To Top    #1

replacing water to remove cya

I have a 2500 gallon indoor spa which gets no sun and I think using the 4 in 1 Suncoast Complete tablets is sky rocketing the cya, close to 300, skewing all tests. When I first filled it last year it took days to vacuum and filter out all the iron and mn that comes from my well. Since then, I have been using my neighbors well to add water.
    First, will these tabs to do this? And why all of a sudden?
    Second, how much of the water will I have to replace?
    Third, If I want to spend some time putting water in pails, letting the minerals precipitate, then filtering it before it goes into the spa, how long should it take to precipitate in a pail? Or is this impossible?
    2500 gal. concrete, indoor, 3hp Pentair vs, 50 sq ft cartridge

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: replacing water to remove cya

1, Yes they will....you probably just noticed it....they add CYA at a consistent rate.

2. All of it. Start anew with water you can test before you put it in and know it will be within acceptable guidelines. If you do a partial, I doubt you will get the results you want. Water is cheaper than most people think.

3.. Good in theory but it doesn't work. If your fill water hasn't reached the saturation point, putting it in a bucket will have little to do with precipitating the minerals.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

OH NO!! I guess chelating agent and a cartridge. Or upgrade my well filters with a hydro-charger.
    Why does it stain my toilets so quick(3 days) if it wouldn't precipitate in a bucket?
    If I had to wait till spring to buy the water, how does a high CYA affect tests, the ph reads 7.8 but the chlorine reading is much higher than normal

4. Back To Top    #4

High CYA does not affect any of the tests in the test kits we recommend. How are you testing?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

i'm using a hth basic oto kit for ph and chlorine, then I found my filter cartridge green, so I borrowed some strips that read cya and alkalinity also. Except for ph, All read high.
    Gonna get a complete kit then try to figure it out

6. Back To Top    #6

The strips are worthless ... they give meaningless results. Make sure you get a kit with the FAS-DPD chlorine test.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    The strips are worthless ... they give meaningless results. Make sure you get a kit with the FAS-DPD chlorine test.
    I really liked strips. Easy, fast, cheap. However, I did an experiment. I filled a bottle from my pool, then I tested the water with two strips. I got significantly different results from the exact same water, doing the exact same method only a minute apart. I haven't used any strips since that day. Bogus information is worse than no information.

I've done repeat test with my titration test kit and I get matching results every time.
    20,000 gal in-ground plaster pool with sand filter. Replastered recently. Mostly adding bleach and acid. CYA was high when I took over.