VA2AZ

Mar 4, 2013
Avondale AZ
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Saline Generating Systems Breeze 540
I have separate 1hp pumps for filter and cleaning/love seat jets. The cleaning motor is starting to make noise. Not bad for a 11+ yr old whisperflo! AZ law is a little confusing, but it looks like I have to replace, when it lets the smoke out, with a 2 speed pump. I have a PCC2000 infloor cleaning system off this pump. My question - At what speed would I have to set this for the cleaning to accomplish what it is designed to do? I think on high.
Second question - does AZ law cover ALL pumps replaced with 2 speed, or are they just talking about filter side? I can't tell from reading the law.
Thanks.
Milt

AZ law? There is nothing that I'm aware of that prevents you from putting any kind of pump and motor in your system of your choice in this state. You can definitely go single speed if you prefer, although there are some advantages to going multi speed depending on your system.

Where are you looking at for the law information?

Arizona Law - Title 44, Chapter 9, Article 19, Section 44-1375 of the Arizona Revised Statutes - as of 1 JAN 2012
2. Residential pool pumps and residential pool pump motors shall comply with both of the following:
(a) Motors shall not be split-phase or capacitor start-induction run type motors, except for the following:
(i) The low-speed section of two-speed motors may be capacitor start-induction run type.
(ii) Forty-eight-frame motors designed for use with aboveground pools are exempt from this requirement.
(b) Motors with a total horsepower capacity of one or more shall have the capability of operating at two or more speeds with a low speed having a rotation rate that is no more than one-half of the motor's maximum rotation rate and shall be operated with a pump control with the capability of operating the pump at two or more speeds. Residential pool pump motor controls that are sold for use with a two or more speed motor shall have a default circulation speed setting no more than one-half of the motor's maximum rotation rate. Any high speed override capability shall be for a temporary period not to exceed one twenty-four hour cycle without resetting to the default setting.

This is just an excerpt of what applies to me.
Have a great day!

Many states, including AZ, are now adopting the APSP-15 standards:

http://www.apsp.org/about/NewsDetail.cf ... umber=1395

Although they fall under each states' only regulations.

But yes, it is usually only the filter pump that covered by the regulations. Spa's and jet pumps are not normally covered by the regulations because they are not on as much as the filter pump.

The floor cleaner would most certainly require the high speed setting of a two speed pump but a VS could be optimized a little more although the pump speed would still be fairly high.

VA2AZ said:
Arizona Law - Title 44, Chapter 9, Article 19, Section 44-1375 of the Arizona Revised Statutes - as of 1 JAN 2012
2. Residential pool pumps and residential pool pump motors shall comply with both of the following:
(a) Motors shall not be split-phase or capacitor start-induction run type motors, except for the following:
(i) The low-speed section of two-speed motors may be capacitor start-induction run type.
(ii) Forty-eight-frame motors designed for use with aboveground pools are exempt from this requirement.
(b) Motors with a total horsepower capacity of one or more shall have the capability of operating at two or more speeds with a low speed having a rotation rate that is no more than one-half of the motor's maximum rotation rate and shall be operated with a pump control with the capability of operating the pump at two or more speeds. Residential pool pump motor controls that are sold for use with a two or more speed motor shall have a default circulation speed setting no more than one-half of the motor's maximum rotation rate. Any high speed override capability shall be for a temporary period not to exceed one twenty-four hour cycle without resetting to the default setting.

This is just an excerpt of what applies to me.
Have a great day!

Wow.....have not ever heard of that! Without seeing the entire ARS listing, and in conjunction with MAS' link, it looks like that was written for the pool builders, no?

Lots of pool filter pumps installed prior to 2012, no doubt.....is everyone suddenly in violation of the law?

If I want to pop a replacement single speed motor into my pool system in AZ, guess what's going in?

I would not worry about the "pool equipment" cops showing up at my door.

Older pools are grandfathered. These regulations were adopted for new pools and replacement equipment. The only way they can really enforce it is with the permit and inspection process. DIYers can ignore the requirements but it might become a problem when you sell the property much like anything you do that should require a permit but one is not drawn.

Also, most of the standard originated from the California Energy Commission and ended up in the California Title 24 requirements:
http://www.energy.ca.gov/title24/2008st ... G_POOL.PDF

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.