High CYA

tagprod

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 3, 2007
Tomball, Texas
Had a friend buy a house with a pool and he asked me to show him how to test and balance the water. I take my trusty tfp 100 test kit and find his CYA is over 100 - about 120. I tell him ita too high and how to lower it. He calls his pool guy who tells him it's fine as long as its under 150. Is that a commonly held belief in the pool community? I've never even heard this before so I was shocked. I think he believes the pool guy since the previous owner told him he never had an algae problem in 7 years he lived there. Just curious

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

It's probably a common belief for those who don't know any better. That's why I've gotten that "deer in the headlights stare" when I've tried to explain the CYA / chlorine relationship to people.

Does your friend have a SWG? 120 is high regardless, but pools with SWG will normally keep higher CYA levels (70-80).

Also, as far as the old owner saying 'no algae problems' ...that could be affected by the fact that he wanted to SELL the house? :roll:

tagprod said:
Had a friend buy a house with a pool and he asked me to show him how to test and balance the water. I take my trusty tfp 100 test kit and find his CYA is over 100 - about 120. I tell him ita too high and how to lower it. He calls his pool guy who tells him it's fine as long as its under 150. Is that a commonly held belief in the pool community? I've never even heard this before so I was shocked. I think he believes the pool guy since the previous owner told him he never had an algae problem in 7 years he lived there. Just curious

My local pool store owner would concur that CYA up to even 200 is OK. And he has been in biz for 30 years.
(btw, he measures it using his computer thing.)
I didnt even consider having a debate with him, just let it be and keep going the TFP way.

Pool companies that only show up once a week have to run the CYA that high (or higher) or all the chlorine would be lost before they came back again. When I fired the pool service, my CYA was above 300. The problem is if algae starts it is much more difficult to get rid of. Pool service companies do not follow our recommendations since they are not at the pool on a daily basis. Trying to mix our advice with a pool service company will not likely work.

No SWG at my friends place. All I can do is lead the horse to water. When he calls me because his water is all jacked up, I won't be there. Ok - I'll be there 'cause I like fixing stuff and to bask in the glory that only comes from an "I told you so" moment.

You can get away with high Cya for a while as long as you run a consistently very high level of FC, but when you get an algae outbreak, you're in deep trouble.
It takes and enormous amount of FC to SLAM and kill it all. Often a very impractical amount.

Keeping Cya high DEMANDS keeping high FC, and a little slip lets things go bad quickly.

High Cya is the number one problem we see when people come here asking for help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.