Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much Acid with Bleach?

1. Back To Top    #1

How much Acid with Bleach?

I was wondering if anyone knows - all things being equal - how much acid (31.45%) you should have to add with bleach (8.25%) to keep the pH constant?

(important note: I don't mean to mix the two together as I prefer not to die from fumes or whatever) I just want to know how much I should be adding to my pool if nothing else is acting upon the pH other than the bleach.

Thanks!
    Snazzy,
    30,000 Gallons IG, DE filter, SWG, Plaster, 2 HP centurion for filter and same for waterfall, 20+ years old, Polaris 360, hot tub attached

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How much Acid with Bleach?

None, any pH change is temporary.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Acid requirement is completely separate from use of Chlorine, while high (over 10 ppm FC) Chlorine levels will skew the pH reading it is self adjusting when the FC level drops back down. Need for acid to adjust pH is varies considerably from pool to pool, factors that can effect it are type of pool (plaster or not), acidity of fill water, amount of aeration, acidity of wind blown dust, etc.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

When I used trichlor, my pH drifted down and when I switch to bleach, my pH drifts up. Which is to be expected. As Isaac says, you need to test both and adjust accordingly. Looking at my logs. I've used 5x as much 8.25% bleach as I've use 29% HCl by volume. That's fairly new plaster and my water and soil are alkaline, so things might be very different for you.
    20,000 gal in-ground plaster pool with sand filter. Replastered recently. Mostly adding bleach and acid. CYA was high when I took over.

5. Back To Top    #5

It will truly depend on your pool conditions. You're daily chlorine usage will be much higher than your acid usage. That being said you may need to add chlorine every 3 days or so to maintain in a reasonable level you may have to add acid once or twice a month to bring the PH into check.
    Measure, chart, then determine.

It will vary seasonally, and bather load.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

6. Back To Top    #6

In my case, nearly none.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by SwimAustin
    When I used trichlor, my pH drifted down and when I switch to bleach, my pH drifts up. Which is to be expected. As Isaac says, you need to test both and adjust accordingly. Looking at my logs. I've used 5x as much 8.25% bleach as I've use 29% HCl by volume. That's fairly new plaster and my water and soil are alkaline, so things might be very different for you.
    Any upward pH drift when adding bleach is temporary because the reaction of the chlorine conversion process winds up being a net neutral situation.

Test your pH first, adjust it if needed, wait 20 or more minutes, then add bleach and don't worry about it. Go about your routine and run the pH again tomorrow, or whenever that is usually, then start over. This really isn't something to be concerned about.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem