I'm presently converting my old (15+ years) Concrete home pool from a skimmer type pool to an overflow type. Pool size is ~35' x 17' and the water will overflow from one of the 17' sides only.
The original pool was also very deep and was about 2' above the ground. We've had the top ~18" cut off which has in effect removed the skimmers, pool inlets, suction point and overflow. The only thing left in the pool is the main drain.
Since we don't have any pool stores and/or good (qualified) pool designers in my area (I live in a small city in India), I'm pretty much doing things myself. While searching for some information I chanced upon this very informative website and would be grateful if someone could help me with the following.
1) How do I calculate the size of the surge /balance tank?
2) I understand from one of the posts here that the main drain should also connect to the surge tank with a float valve. Please post a link to suitable float valve so I have an idea about the type needed. Also, will the main drain still be connected to my filter, as before?
3) The water return to the pool will be via a waterfall type water feature about 8" above the pool in the center of the long side. Would this pose any problems or affect water circulation in any way?
4) I plan on adding an autofill to the pool (to keep it just below overflowing) as well as the surge tank. Is this OK?
5) Since I no longer have a suction point in the pool, how could I incorporate this into the system. Is it ok if this is not under water?
Any other pointers you could give me, would be very helpful and appreciated.
Thanks in advance.