Tasting Salt?

Assuming 0 salt before, that puts you about 2700 ppm. Are you running a SWG?

Tasting salt in the water is an individual things. Some are sensitive to it at much lower levels than others. I only have 1200 ppm salt in my pool and my wife swears she can taste it (she doesn't know I added any, just her observation). I can't.

If you aren't running SWG and are just looking for the improved water feel, you don't need to go that high, but it's kinda late now :)

The lower threshold for tasting salt is something like 250 ppm (though as Rangeball pointed out, not everyone or even many people can taste it at that level); it's not at all surprising that you can taste it at 2700+ ppm.

I tasted it the first couple of months. Then you get used to it and it goes away.

If you were in the pool stirring up the 800lbs, then you would DEFINITELY taste it, it takes a while for the salt to fully diffuse. I can taste the "additional" salt when I add 40lbs to may deep end and jump in to stir it up.

I used to have the salt level in our pool at 1,200ppm and I could taste it when swimming. Now the level is up to 3,000ppm and the salt taste is pretty strong, though not offensive.

dan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Why is everyone stiring up their salt? We just had our pool installed and started up and the pool guy poured the salt in the skimmer with no stiring involved. Is it ok to run 7 bags of salt through the skimmer?

I put salt in my pool early in July for the first time. Someone posted that you should do a salt test before you add any. I did and was surprized to have a reading of about 830ppm. It's because I use liquid chlorine. Using the pool calculartor I added just enough to get to 1890ppm. The wife is the only one that can taste the salt. It's not a bad taste and no one finds it objectable. Along with the borates, the water does taste alittle different. The water in general looks better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.