Newly filled pool- 5L of muriatic/hydrochloric acid?

mmaf85

Jan 16, 2014
Hi there,

We have just finished our quartzon pool and it is filling as I type.
I have been instructed by our pool company to add a 5L (1.3 gallons) bottle of hydrochloric acid to the pool when it is full, in five rounds of 1L : 9L dilution. My issue is that it seems that all new pool owners are given the same bottle with the same instructions.
My pool is very petite at 3m (9f10i) x 4m (13f1i) and 1m (3f3i) - 1.6m (5f3i) depth. Online calculators give me approximately 16,000L (4226.8 gallon) and the pool workers estimated 20,000L (5283.4G).
When I rang the pool company to query this, I was put on hold before being instructed to "just add half" instead and that it would "all need to go in anyway".
Does this seem like too much acid given the pool's size to anyone else? No tests have been conducted, this is a standard instruction. Would you forgo the acid until the first tests were done?

Thanks,
B

They have already put a calcium solution in the water to neutralise that and it will need to be topped up every 6 months.
Is it normal to dump a nominal amount of acid into a pool when it is first filled?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.