Is solar heating worth it?

schoolpoolboy

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 24, 2013
San Diego
Split from is-solar-heating-worth-it-t53646.html Butterfly

I'm newbie and not sure how to post new thread, this thread asked my question but didn't really answer?
So heres what I got,
30,000 IG w/spa(15 yr old) 2.6 hp(not sure what brand?) w/ Purex whisper flo
Pentair NFSP 60 DE filter
Pentair Minimax 400 heater
Compupool LX220 solar (2 panels, over 1/2 of pool surface)

Info I have is, Solar has been dormant for at least 3 yrs maybe longer? as far as I can tell both sensors need replaced, (It will require drilling new hole as a section of pipe has been replaced and sensor is lying on ground) to have automated system working correctly. (I manually overrode actuator and found no leaks).

My Question is, Before I go buy sensors and drill holes? and make the effort to get it operational? Is it even worth it? I live in San Diego, panels are close to pool, get sun most of the day, but is that enough surface area to make a difference in a 30,000 gl pool? I've already dropped $1000 getting pool back in shape, not that it was completely neglected, Just a matter of things getting old and wore out. So I'm to the point I don't want to spend any more$ unless I have to? And if the solar is worth the time and money? I'll do it.

PS Having trouble identifying 2 lines? They are the two that come after 3way w/actuator coming out filter. one line goes to heater, but before that there is tee w/check valve. This has me puzzled, the position of said chk vlv is such that its allowing water to flow whenever pump is running and 3way is open?, essentially sending some water to heater and some through the line in question. then theres a line on other side of 3way. both route around filter and converge at same spot in ground. Are these solar? if so which one is return? I attached pics

Thanks
Parris

Attachments

• pool 009.JPG
    pool 009.JPG
    479.1 KB · Views: 363
  • pool 008.JPG
    pool 008.JPG
    431.8 KB · Views: 333
I love mine !! If I was living in San Diego and bought a house with an existing system already installed, I'd get her all fix up for sure. It's the perfect part of the country for it, I live in the Mohave Desert so my climate is pretty good too.

My buddy has a house in San Marcos, I'm talking to him now about solar install benifits.

I have 6 panel, only thing I would change is adding 1 or 2 more for my pool. Heats up 0-60 in like 3.2 seconds with this heat.

Seriously, if you have most everything installed I would do it in a heart beat as long as it's not a complete mess on top

Good luck

hey thanks mark and Issac for the quick response, I guess it would be foolish to NOT spend the $60 to get system going. Although after looking tonight i think i have a bad compool 3 way? Which I believe its purpose is to isolate solar from heater? its the 3way out of filter after check valve. after i shut pump off I could hear water rushing through the 2" line coming out of 3way which was in off position. I walked over to where the pipes run up side of house to panels and i could hear water flowing. Is my diagnosis correct? Bad 3way?

Hard to say, I don't know that valve, but it may just need a new seal kit.

Ike

p.s. many solar installers would traditionally drill a small pin hole in the valve to let a trickle through to allow back draining of the panels, there are also some "solar" valves with a small built in check valve for similar function

schoolpoolboy said:
i think i have a bad compool 3 way? Which I believe its purpose is to isolate solar from heater? its the 3way out of filter after check valve. after i shut pump off I could hear water rushing through the 2" line coming out of 3way which was in off position. I walked over to where the pipes run up side of house to panels and i could hear water flowing. Is my diagnosis correct? Bad 3way?
Can you post a picture of that 3-way valve? I am happy to help troubleshoot it. Also, when you change the position from 'off' to 'on', does it sound like there is more water flowing? I agree with Isaac that you might just need a new seal kit.

I posted pic at top of thread, Yes i plan on just replacing seal, but from researching, the rebuild kit is about the same price as the valve itself. I found one as low as $55 on ebay.
Thing is, I've had valve apart. and was a bit disappointed when i couldn't really find much wrong with the seal? other than some slight discoloring on one corner, and maybe rubber is slightly on the hard side? I mean it sure doesn't seam like enough deterioration to allow the volume of water im hearing in pipe. as for "off" & "on" position yes it sounds like the volume increases, and it sounds like water flowing to heater when i change position.

PS My wife said your hot Blake :roll:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
schoolpoolboy said:
I've had valve apart. and was a bit disappointed when i couldn't really find much wrong with the seal? other than some slight discoloring on one corner, and maybe rubber is slightly on the hard side? I mean it sure doesn't seam like enough deterioration to allow the volume of water im hearing in pipe. as for "off" & "on" position yes it sounds like the volume increases, and it sounds like water flowing to heater when i change position.
Hmmm, when you had the valve apart, could you see in while shifting the position from on to off? Or in other words, did you remove the valve altogether from the other plumbing? Definitely seems like if you can hear that much water flowing, you should be able to see where it's coming through.

Agree that a new one might make more sense than the rebuild kit. $55 seems decent, but I might be able to find one even cheaper. Let me know if you'd like me to poke around. And tell your wife I'm flattered :oops:

no I didn't remove valve body, just the seals. Found 3way on Amazon for $39 out the door, so I ordered it already, But thanks anyway. I still need help identifying the two lines.
If you look at photos, the one coming out of filter to> chck vlve, to> 3way. ok so it tees at 3way, one line comes out(heads towards panels), then 90s in the ground, now on other side of 3way ,it comes out>, tees> at tee theres a line that continues parallel to minimax heater, the other downward facing port has a check valve then goes around backside of filter then converges with the other line in question and both are underground.
So why do i have 2 solar returns?

So it is a little hard to tell from the pictures you have. If possible, snap on that is a little farther away so we can see the entire set-up in one image. Also try to snap a picture of your solar panels to give us a better idea about the plumbing.

Based on what I can tell from the current pics and your description, this is my thought...

1) Routed through the solar panel for summer times, when its most economical to run solar units vs the propane heater. If you see two pipes, I would guess one of them sends water to panels and the other line is return.

2) Routed through the heater (does not go through solar) is for colder weather

And I'm guessing there's a third line to bypass them all

Would that make sense based on what plumbing is visible? Again, another shot from a bit farther away would be helpful to confirm this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.