Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Distance from pool to retaining wall

1. Back To Top    #1

Distance from pool to retaining wall

Thanks for anyone who may be able to help. We're struggling with designs for our 1st new pool .

-14 x 38 foot (L-shaped), 22-25,000 gallons.
    -115 ft perimeter
    -570-585 square feet pool
    -3 ft to 7 ft deep
    -950 sq ft of decking

Our house sits on a hill and we have a terraced backyard. There is a large curved retaining wall (at least 10 feet high) in the upper level backyard where the pool will go. The house and retaining wall were built 4 years ago and the survey says that it's Criblock. That wall seems very well built and we've had no problems with it all.

In an effort to keep costs down, our prospective pool builders have all suggested keeping the retaining wall in place, rather than knocking it down and rebuilding a new one for the pool. This will make our pool narrower, but we're OK with that. All the designs will have an 50' x 18" exposed beam along the back of the pool, due to a very slight slope in the backyard.

My question is regarding the distance from the back of the pool to this pre-existing retaining wall. Some PB have designs as close to 3 feet from the wall, while others have said that we should keep it to 4 or 4.5 feet at a minimum. The PB with the closer distance said that the pool will not affect the integrity of the retaining wall. However, I'm hearing conflicting things from the other PBs, who said that we shouldn't build that close.

This is all very confusing to me, and I want to make the right decision. Obviously, the closer we can get to the wall, the larger I can make the pool which is great. But I don't want to risk a problem in the future.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Distance from pool to retaining wall

This is really a question for an engineer, and maybe if you are lucky you can get with the one who signed off on the retaining wall to start with. His/her name and PE number should be on something filed with your construction project with permit data.

Is the pool going to be above the wall or below it?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Great suggestion for checking with the original engineer. I'll see if I can track him/her down.

The pool is going above the wall.

Thanks.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Definitely get an engineers opinion. As a builder personally I wouldn't want to duild even within 5 foot of that wall. If it is 10' tall you are putting alot of faith into it. If it fails you not only lose your pool but also will it stress the house?
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the help. I was able to find the original engineer, and we're arranging a time for him to come out to the house and take a look.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by pmj78910
    Thanks for the help. I was able to find the original engineer, and we're arranging a time for him to come out to the house and take a look.
    Be sure to let us know what the engineer says. I'm sure lots of folks other than me would also like to know!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

I'd be interested in hearing the details...
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem