Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Copper-nickel heat exchangers

1. Back To Top    #1

Copper-nickel heat exchangers

This is the third heat exchanger that has developed pin hole leaks in my Hayward NG heater. Does anyone make a better exchanger?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Copper-nickel heat exchangers

Welcome to TFP.

Which heater do you have?
    There are Titanium exchangers but I don't know if it's available for your heater of not. The more inportant question is, why have they failed?
    The most common reason is water chemistry out of balance. How do you maintain your pool?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Rheem and Raypak have Cupro-Nickel but Bama is right you need to address your acidic water problem first. I've only seen titanium in heat pumps but even if that made your heater invulnerable to acidic water other things will take damage like your ladders, screws, lights...basically anything metallic will erode. Acid is acid.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

If you have one of the newer Hayward heaters, it is a known piece of junk. Get rid of the heater and address your water problems if the levels aren't right. I have know people/commercial places with the Hayward units and they do NOT hold up like they use to even though there water is balanced.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

5. Back To Top    #5

I think I kept my pool balance properly. I would like to know what the pros think is a superior replacement. I also have not been able to find Titanium in anything but a heat pump. If I am wrong please tell me.

6. Back To Top    #6

We can't say for sure you were balanced without knowing your pool chemistry numbers. It looks like there is no heater with a Ti exchanger.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Titanium is only found in heat pumps. No matter what heat exchanger you get in a heater, if the pool water isn't kept balanced it will eat thru it. It might take a little longer but it will happen.

I install plenty of Raypak/Rheem's and have very few issues with them. I get lots of calls for service on the Hayward FD's, Sta Rite, and Master Temp's.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks everybody.

9. Back To Top    #9

I have a Cupro-Nickel Hayward heater for going on 9 years now without any problems. They should last a good long time so I suspect something else is going on.

Which model do you own? Also, do you have a chlorine puck feeder and is there a check valve between the heater and the feeder?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

10. Back To Top    #10

In addition to the chemistry, you should check the flow rate through the heater. Excessive flow can cause erosion of the heat exchanger.

11. Back To Top    #11

Those are some interesting questions.

No. I don't have a puck feeder, I am on Salt. So, no check valve either.

Flow rate is a possibility since I have never heard anybody talk about flow rate. My pump feeds directly to the heater (with 2-3 elbows but no other restriction. What should the flow rate be and how do I measure it?

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

There are a few flow rate meters you can install on your line if need be. I never see them on a residential pool but on commercial pools its a requirement. One way to manually test the flow rate, not fool proof, is to go to the pool returns and hold your hand over the return and see if it strong coming out. In many cases it should be pretty strong in that it is somewhat hard to hold your hand over the return. Now if you have a variable or multi-speed pump and the unit is operating on the low setting, this test fails. What type of filter do you have and how often do you clean your filter?
    Paul

13. Back To Top    #13

I have very strong return pressure. I have an old hayward 200 with the multi port valve on the side. New sand was in it two years ago. I backwash before ding chemicals. I don't pour any cleaner in very often.
    My return (1 only) also runs my Polaris 165.
    I have Hayward H-200. I will call them to find out about the flow rate and I will jury rig a flow meter in the return to the pool this coming up season.
    I like the idea of replacing the entire heater and going with something a little better.

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

What has been your average pH during the time you have had heater issues?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

15. Back To Top    #15

I seriously doubt it is flow rate because the H series heaters have a built in bypass that prevents the flow rate from exceeding the maximum within the heat exchanger. The manual only suggests using an external bypass when the flow rates exceed 125 GPM which I doubt that they would. See page 25 & 26:

http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals ... lation.pdf

I think it is more likely to be a chemistry issue.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Minihorse
    My pump feeds directly to the heater (with 2-3 elbows but no other restriction.
    Usually the pool filter is between the pump and the heater. Is that the way yours is plumbed? If not, I'm wondering if your abrading your heat exchanger with unfiltered water.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

17. Back To Top    #17

Yes your right my filter is between the pump and heater. I must assume now that my chemistry is not always right and I will do a better job. With that said I still need a new heater and knowing I run it continually for about 4 months, what would you recommend. 18,000 gallons and I have trees and little sun during the day. Please don't tell me to cut down the trees because the wife won't let me.

18. Back To Top    #18

In the Industry

My suggestion would be a Raypak/Rheem 400K BTU heater. A very good reliable simple unit with no extra bells or whistles that can break down the road. I would install it with bypass valves in case you want to take it out of the flow of water for pool chemical treatments.
    Paul