My TF100 test results are currently this:

FC 3
    CC 0
    TA 70
    PH 7.6
    CH 300
    CYA 70
    SALT 3800

So I think pretty balanced for SWCG. If i up the FC level on the chlorine generator one point (i.e from 6 to 7) FC shoots up to 5.5. IS it better to run FC at 5.5 or OK to run at 3. I know the recommended level in pool calc is 3 but elsewhere on the site it says FC of 3 is the borderline minimum and recommended is between 3-5 for my CYA level.

Thanks for you advice,

Paul
    33000L Concrete Pool, Viron P320 Pump, Viron-PH Auto PH Chlorinator, Viron CL400 cartridge filter, Sunlover solar heating, TF-100 Testkit and Taylor speedstir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Recommended FC level with SWCG

Welcome to TFP!

An FC level anywhere in the 3-5 ppm range is good for your SWCG pool. An FC of 5 is considered the target and 3 is the minimum that it should not drop below. The target level give you a little bit of extra cushion against the FC dropping to below 3 ppm. If you were having a big pool party, I might give a one-time supplemental dose of chlorine (using liquid bleach - not by dialing up your SWCG) to bump the FC level 1-2 ppm above the target of 5 to account for the increased chlorine demand from an unusually large number of bathers. But for normal everyday use, 3-5 ppm is fine.

Here is the Chlorine / CYA Chart.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi BoDarville

Thanks for that! Now I'm curious as to why the pool calculator says 3 is the suggested level instead of the minimum level. Do you know why it says taht?
    33000L Concrete Pool, Viron P320 Pump, Viron-PH Auto PH Chlorinator, Viron CL400 cartridge filter, Sunlover solar heating, TF-100 Testkit and Taylor speedstir

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by paulio
    Hi BoDarville

Thanks for that! Now I'm curious as to why the pool calculator says 3 is the suggested level instead of the minimum level. Do you know why it says taht?
    I agree that the description in the PoolMath calculator could be better worded. The swg field is a minimum, the range listed for normal pools is exactly that the min and max, and the shock level and Mustard shock levels (also known as SLAM levels) are targets. You can cross reference this in this pool school article: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...ya_chart_shock
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.