New pool / patio build Houston (Cypress),

Dec 16, 2013
Cypress TX
We’re a family of 7 who spend lots of time outside and have really wanted a pool for quite some time. My plan is to chronicle all the stages of the build as well as use this experience to help others.

Well we finally saved up some money so let’s get this thing started.

Fortunately we have a descent sized back yard per Houston standards and can allow for a pool to be built without taking up the whole thing. Plan was to use half the yard for playing and the other half for the pool. We’re also looking to have a 16x24 cover built with fireplace so we can sit outside and enjoy the weather.

After speaking with numerous PB’s we finally made our decision. PB was not the cheapest, but we wanted somebody that we felt comfortable with and could trust. Considering this is a huge expenditure, you really want to make it as pleasant as possible.

We wanted a geometric shaped pool without too many extras. First few designs looked to “boxy” so we added the L shelf to give it some style. Minimum amount of decking since the yard is extremely important for the kids. Decking color will be lighter to match the travertine.
The building is 16x24 with a large fireplace. It actually lines up with the house and pool.
Some of the basic stats:

Pool:
119 Perimeter Ft.
Depth 3.5'- 5.5' - 3.5''
Approx. 33' x 20'
6" Deep Sunshelf at Entry with 2 Bubbler Fountains
Stairs on both ends of pool
12" x 12" Natural Travertine Coping on Pool & Spa
Std 6x6 Waterline Pool Tile
4" Deck Drain System- Run to street
Overflow Drain Tied into Drainage System
Automatic Fill Line with valve
6- Return Lines
1- Cleaner Line
2- Anti-Vortex Main Drains (Pool)
2- Anti-Vortex Main Drains (Spa)
2- Skimmers

Equipment:
Hayward EcoStar Variable Speed Computerized Pool Pump
Hayward 3/4 HP Pool Cleaner Booster Pump
425 sqft. Hayward SwimClear Cartridge Filter
Upgrade to Pro Model- Hayward ProLogic PS-8 with Digital Wireless Remote, & In Home Docking Station
Hayward H- Series 400,000BTU Pool Heater
Hayward T-Cell 9 Salt System
Hayward ColorLogic LED Colorchanging lights with preset light show functions (2 Pool Lights, 1 Spa Light)
Hayward Neverlube Valves
Polaris Black Max 280 Pool Cleaner
Wet Edge- Luna Quartz Premium Interior Finish
20 linear Ft.- +12" High Raised Pool Wall
2 Main Drains
Capped with Travertine Coping
Faced Flagstone Back
5- Pool Columns

Spa
7' Interior
Stacked Flagstone or Travertine Spa Spillway
ColorLogic LED Color Changing Spa Light
2 level Seating with step in
Contoured backrest
6- Hydro Air Jets
2 HP Silencer Blower

1015 sqft. Imbedded Color Mix - Salt Finish Concrete Decking 30" Scorelines

Attachments

• Benyak_010.jpg
    Benyak_010.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 1,529
  • Benyak_011.jpg
    Benyak_011.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 1,507
  • Benyak_012.jpg
    Benyak_012.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 1,506
That's a beautiful design. Keep the pics coming! :cool:

Looks great. We also used Grand Isle on our build and our pool looks very similar to your design.

Here's the youtube video that John put together: (if this doesn't work, search Modern Elegance Sienna on Youtube)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKqIXwOWVLA

Grand Isle did a great job for us - we had a few minor issues along the way but they were quick to fix and made sure that everything was done correctly. I would use them again.

Steve

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Congrats. To document my build I built a website and posted pics and blogs. Made sure pool builder was aware too. I don't know if it influenced them to do a good job but they did great. Keep us updated.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Vegas Kid said:
They are dropping off the HOA permit tomorrow.

Estimated time is 75 days, but not sure if that includes the HOA approval.

I'll meet with John this week and go over the selections.
I would say not. We actually started a week or so before we got the HOA approval in... I'd read their requirements in detail and everything we had submitted was in accordance with them so we just went ahead and got the letter from them about when gunite went in I think.

I would go with the Hayward t-cell-15 which is for pools up to 40000 gallons (verses the T-cell-9 which is for 25000 gallons) since we recommend sizing a swg 1.5-3 times larger than the pool volume (I think yours is ~20000 gallons).

Shots of the yard staked out.

20140203_171600_zps554b6845.jpg

20140204_084856_zpsff7d8f7c.jpg

20140203_171722_zps7cd9cea3.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Excavation today.

A bit of slight rain but nothing major. The guy with the skid steer is quite impressive. Tomorrow should be rebar at 6:45 am....

20140204_171754_zps333a718a.jpg

I would go with the Hayward t-cell-15 which is for pools up to 40000 gallons (verses the T-cell-9 which is for 25000 gallons) since we recommend sizing a swg 1.5-3 times larger than the pool volume (I think yours is ~20000 gallons).

Thanks for the advise. Would be nice to get some longevity out of the cells.

Update: Changed to T-cell-15. :cool:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.