My husband bought me a hot tub...now what do I do?

May 29, 2011
Harleton, Texas
My hubby bought me a hot tub to help with my AS!!

It's a sunbelt cyclone - 4 seats, 235 gallon with ozonator (whatever that is)!! The people before us used the FROG system. Is this the best method or not?

We set it up and filled it on Sunday and used it. I noticed yesterday (Wednesday) it was smelly (surprise surprise). I took a 2 cup sample and let it sit out over night to room temperature. I used my pool school chemical kit to test and here's my results.

PH 8.2
FC 0
CC 0
TC 0
TA 450 (45 drops).
CH 50

I DID add 1 oz of bleach yesterday (after I took the sample) so that it would kill anything I might be starting to grow in there while I figured this out.

What do I need to know about my spa?? I know how to test and maintain my pool, so I'm not "new". What should my target levels be? HELP! :)

Danielle W
Texas

Start by reading the stickies about using chlorine in your spa.

You can not let the water sit out that long and expect the pH or chlorine test to be accurate anymore. The only test that the water temp matters is the CYA and you did not report that value.

You may need to add some CH to prevent foaming.

I do not know much about spa maintenance, but this should get you started. Here is the sticky:
how-do-i-use-chlorine-in-my-spa-or-pool-t10095.html

I just saw that sticky and was reading it. I need to get a few things tomorrow at the store. It might be easier to drain and start fresh since I let the water sit for 3 days already. Boy. I should of went here first (I knew better too)!!

Muratic acid to lower the TA
Calcium Chloride to bring the CA up
Gentle Spa for the CYA

Do these things need to be done first before I shock/sanitize?

DanielleW said:
Gentle Spa for the CYA
Gentle spa is borates not cya iirc. You will be adding cya when using dichlor if you plan to use the "dichlor then bleach" approach in the link jbliz listed above.

DanielleW said:
The people before us used the FROG system. Is this the best method or not?
The "Spa Frog" system provides bromine as a sanitizer and also uses a mineral cartridge. My understanding it is more expensive then just using the standard tfp bromine method.

If you plan on soaking daily to every 2-3 days then the chlorine approach works well. If you plan to soak only once or twice a week, then bromine might be better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.