Weeds through liner

Jan 13, 2008
Florida
I discovered 2-3 weeds poking up through my ABG vinyl lined pool. I plan on pulling the weeds through, from the top, and then patching the bottom with a patch.
My questions are:
1) Does anyone have a better solution?
2) Could I have done anything to prevent this? (I orginally put out the recommended weed killer prior to installation
3) Is vegetation around the perimeter of a pool a bad thing? (wife likes the look)

:cry:

scooter64 said:
I discovered 2-3 weeds poking up through my ABG vinyl lined pool. I plan on pulling the weeds through, from the top, and then patching the bottom with a patch.
My questions are:
1) Does anyone have a better solution?
2) Could I have done anything to prevent this? (I orginally put out the recommended weed killer prior to installation
3) Is vegetation around the perimeter of a pool a bad thing? (wife likes the look)

Welcome to TFP!

There are some weeds that can grow through the liner. No hole necessary! :hammer:

1. Until you actually pull the weed, you will not lose much water at all, because the weed is plugging the hole it created! However, your "pull and patch" solution is just about your only option!

2. I will let others answer this

3. depends on the vegetation. I would not personally have grass, but non-invasive shrubs and flowers are fine.

scooter64 said:
My questions are:

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Weed killer, like Round-Up is dependant on the weather. You can't spray it too early in spring before warm weather kits because the plant needs to be activly growing for it to work.

Plants around the pool area can look nice. But I would be careful with the selection, trying to stay away from suckering trees or shrubs. Also...a tree that was recently cut down could spread a good number of suckers up away from the stump itself.

good luck!
dan

My pool has sprouted a sprig of grass....seems as though I have the same problem as the original poster, but not clear on what I should do from the responses he got, should I pull it out? Not real sure how it got thru sand, tarp AND the bottom of the viny pool, but we did spray before setting up, guess we missed a spot. Any ideas?

Nut grass is notorious for growing through pool liners. It doesn't need a hole, the sun, or anything else. Most weed killers won't touch it! Round-Up only kills what you can see of it and it'll come right back. At this point, pull it and patch is about the only thing you can do short of pulling the liner and sand and installing a barrier like Gorilla Pad or Perfect Pool Bottom. We installed the Perfect Pool Bottom on ours and it sticks out all around the pool about a foot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had my 24' above ground vinyl liner pool professionally installed 4 yrs ago. They did an excellent job and did treat for weeds and nut grass. Unfortunately, last year we had a flood, and it carried invasive bamboo with it, right alongside my pool. I tried all summer, to no avail, to remove this pest from my yard, especially by the side of my pool. First, I tried manually pulling this hateful weed by hand. Finally, I bought the strongest weed killer I could find! I still have bamboo growing, and now have several 5' tall stalks growing in the middle of my pool! I haven't put the cover on the pool this year because I do not want to ruin my new cover! And yes, it grew thru the liner and just in several weeks this fall! This is not the "ornamental" nice kind of bamboo, but grows like kudzu around here! Guess I will need a new liner. Will try to repair, but don't know if I can...how many MORE roots are growing under that liner? But a new liner is out of the question until I get the bamboo gone. Anyone with any suggestions?

Check your county extension office, typically they carry info on killing known weeds. Check with local farm supply stores for real weed killer. A quick duckduckgo search yielded this result.

No product will work if not used properly. For weed killers to be effective on bamboo, you must first cut down the bamboo to the ground. Then allow some new leaves to grow and apply a glyphosate product to those leaves. Diclebenil and selective grass herbicides also work best when the bamboo has been cut first. Use all products according to the label's instructions for best results.

Leave the liner in to block sun and clip the shoots down inside the pool, outside the pool develop your method that works and when you have repeatable success, trash the liner and work inside the pool and then reline when done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.