Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Weeds through liner

Weeds through liner

I discovered 2-3 weeds poking up through my ABG vinyl lined pool. I plan on pulling the weeds through, from the top, and then patching the bottom with a patch.
    My questions are:
    1) Does anyone have a better solution?
    2) Could I have done anything to prevent this? (I orginally put out the recommended weed killer prior to installation
    3) Is vegetation around the perimeter of a pool a bad thing? (wife likes the look)

Re: Weeds through liner

I am not an expert, but is it possible for a weed to grow through the vinyl liner unless there was a hole there first?

Kind of late now, but you could have put down some landscapping fabric to prevent the weeds from growing.
    - 18 x 36 Inground with Vinyl Liner
    - 30,000 Gallons
    - Pentair Clean and Clear 420 with a 1HP Pentair Whisperflow
    - Blue Diamond Robot Cleaner

cant see the weeds growing unless there was light.

must have been a hole there first me thinks
    15 x 36 Intex AGP
    External skimmer
    Mega sand filter
    1/3 HP pump
    http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll82/GazzMan9/

Senior Member The Mermaid Queen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scooter64
    I discovered 2-3 weeds poking up through my ABG vinyl lined pool. I plan on pulling the weeds through, from the top, and then patching the bottom with a patch.
    My questions are:
    1) Does anyone have a better solution?
    2) Could I have done anything to prevent this? (I orginally put out the recommended weed killer prior to installation
    3) Is vegetation around the perimeter of a pool a bad thing? (wife likes the look)

Welcome to TFP!

There are some weeds that can grow through the liner. No hole necessary!

1. Until you actually pull the weed, you will not lose much water at all, because the weed is plugging the hole it created! However, your "pull and patch" solution is just about your only option!

2. I will let others answer this

3. depends on the vegetation. I would not personally have grass, but non-invasive shrubs and flowers are fine.

18x32 grecian IG vinyl; ~23000 gallons; 250# sand filter, Hayward superpump with AO Smith motor 1HP SF1.0; booster pump for polaris. Handy Links: Jason's Calculator, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

Quote Originally Posted by scooter64
    My questions are:

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Weed killer, like Round-Up is dependant on the weather. You can't spray it too early in spring before warm weather kits because the plant needs to be activly growing for it to work.

Plants around the pool area can look nice. But I would be careful with the selection, trying to stay away from suckering trees or shrubs. Also...a tree that was recently cut down could spread a good number of suckers up away from the stump itself.

good luck!
    dan
    21' Aqua-Leader AGP (10,200 gallons).
    Hayward cartridge filter and two speed pump.
    Aqua-Cal HeatWave 100k (HeatPump)
    Salt 3200ppm (in non-salt water pool)
    Borates 20ppm (slowly raising)
    Aqua-Rite SWG

My pool has sprouted a sprig of grass....seems as though I have the same problem as the original poster, but not clear on what I should do from the responses he got, should I pull it out? Not real sure how it got thru sand, tarp AND the bottom of the viny pool, but we did spray before setting up, guess we missed a spot. Any ideas?
    ABG Easy Set 18 x 48
    5455 gallons
    SWG
    Intex Pump 4000 GPM - Size B cartridge

Nut grass is notorious for growing through pool liners. It doesn't need a hole, the sun, or anything else. Most weed killers won't touch it! Round-Up only kills what you can see of it and it'll come right back. At this point, pull it and patch is about the only thing you can do short of pulling the liner and sand and installing a barrier like Gorilla Pad or Perfect Pool Bottom. We installed the Perfect Pool Bottom on ours and it sticks out all around the pool about a foot.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

We had the nut grass sprout up in a couple places with our first pool

We ended up using the gorilla pad this time because of that.
    18ft. Arcadia Round AGP - 19" Sand Filter, 1 hp pump
    Foam cove/ Gorilla Pad/ Wedding cake steps
    Sta Rite Lil' Shark cleaner and Aquabot Pool Rover cleaner - Aqua-Luminator light and return flow w/fountain attachment
    Added Borates 5/19/09 Taylor K-1005 and Taylor FAS-DPD Chlorine Tests

Thanks guys...we had planned on leaving the pool up year round, so I guess I'll pull and patch! But I am going to check out what a Gorilla Pad and Perfect Pool Bottom are since I'm not familiar with them.
    ABG Easy Set 18 x 48
    5455 gallons
    SWG
    Intex Pump 4000 GPM - Size B cartridge

has anyone ever seen a weed split 5" thick concrete, or push through 6" of perfect asphalt? Sure weeds can grow without light - a pool liner is nothing for weeds to grow thorugh!