Zodiac G3 Patterning on walls and sides only

Oct 1, 2013
Hi all,
I just got a Zodiac G3 for my pool (had professional service before). I adjust my returns down, tested the suction and adjusted to "3" per the manual using the flow keeper valve and put the hose weight on half way up the first section of hose. My problem is the cleaner keeps repeating the same pattern over and over along the walls of the pool I can't get it to cover some of the middle in th shallow end or any of the middle of the deep end. It's driving me nuts, Help please. Thanks

if it is climbing the walls then the suction is to high so i would reduce it slightly. make sure you have the correct amount of hose, which is the number of lengths to get you to the further most part of the pool plus 1, adding an extra length may help. Do you have the large deflector wheel installed on the cleaner? the deflector wheel should be a least the same size as the disc, this will keep it away from the wall so the disc wont be able to get a good grip. The cleaner will only follow the hose so make sure the flow of the return lines are not pushing the hose or keeping it in one place.

- - - Updated - - -

if it is climbing the walls then the suction is to high so i would reduce it slightly. make sure you have the correct amount of hose, which is the number of lengths to get you to the further most part of the pool plus 1, adding an extra length may help. Do you have the large deflector wheel installed on the cleaner? the deflector wheel should be a least the same size as the disc, this will keep it away from the wall so the disc wont be able to get a good grip. The cleaner will only follow the hose so make sure the flow of the return lines are not pushing the hose or keeping it in one place. are the returns up one end of the pool? if so point them down so the point to where the floor meets the wall on both sides, about a third of the way down the length of the pool.

Hello! I seem to have the same problem with my new one. I had a G3 at my last house in a pool that was sort of square with a rounded back and it worked great. Our current house has a more common kidney shaped pool, and I'm having the same problem with the unit traveling around the edge of the pool - it ran for 12 hours last night and there is still plenty of debris in the middle of the pool. SFPoolGuy - did you find a way to get the unit to travel in a more random pattern? I haven't tried the weight yet, that's my next step.

Weight didn't make a difference - anyone have any input on a replacement unit? I'm going to have to bite the bullet on this and sell if for a loss, looking for input on a good suction side cleaner for kidney shaped pools with sloping edges.

Well, kept playing with it - added more hose than they say to add (if side suction, should be two lengths longer than the farthest edge of the pool) - went three lengths long, and what a difference! I think you have to have enough hose in the pool for this cleaner to kind of bind the hose against the walls, which causes the cleaner to change direction due to the extra resistance. Pool is clean, and I'm happy :D Figured I'd post this, as I've seen several reviews where the only complaint was the same as mine (only going around the edge of the pool).

A well placed weight on the top middle then bottom of the first section
an extra length or two sometimes on or off of a hose section-
Playing with the flow keeper valve-

All these things make a huge difference in patterning.

Play with them all before you give up.

UD

Thanks for replying UD.
I ordered two sections but I need to order another weight.
I did play around with the flow valve some. I opened it up and it would do a partial up the side wall and when I almost close it does go to the top and sucks air.
Either way it stays on the perimeter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
First, Sorry for jumping on the OP thread.
So I finally got my two white sections of hose (ordered 2 white and received blue but returned).
Down to one extra length, since pulling apart the original one off, the hose broke-tore. I guess they do get brittle.
It seems to move around more but does jam up in the far corner for a bit before turning and still goes to the top and sucks air for a bit then drops and continues.
I will still play with the valve to see if it will adjust more.
Thanks for now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.