FC level not dropping, advice?

Oct 24, 2013
First pool, was SLAM'd (assuming) prior to this purchase at the end of Sept., so FC levels have always been high. They've come down, but they're still really high. Am I doing the right thing here?

Should I add chemicals to lower the FC level?

Current condition: Clear, looks gorgeous, no chlorine tabs have been added since Oct (when I bought the house)

Pool 1/12
58 degrees F
FC - 15ppm
CC - 0ppm
pH - 7.4
TA - 80ppm
CH - 325ppm
CYA - 0?

Pool 12/24
58 degrees F
FC - 15ppm
CC - 0.5ppm
pH - 7.3 (base demand - 1 drop to 7.6)
TA - 50ppm
CH - 325ppm
CYA - not tested

10/24
26ppm FC
.5ppm CC
7.2ph
25 TA
450 CH
60 CYA

11/3 (first test & still learning, results probably off)
22ppm FC
0ppm CC
7.4 pH
40TA
400CH
40CA

The cooler water temps will have an effect on your FC drifting down. Cold water holds FC levels longer.

Don't add anything to help it out. It'll drift down on its own.

How did you come up with zero CYA ?

pwrstrk said:
How did you come up with zero CYA ?

Thanks, I didn't - just a guess. I've always found the CYA test to be subjective. "When the black dot disappears", heck I can see it pretty good! Just a little disappear, all gone? When I did the last test, it was filled up to the brim (the tester), so I just assumed it was below 30 or at zero.

Figured that since CYA is just a FC breakdown inhibitor (right?), that I could let it stay low while the FC levels are high. Am I wrong in this assumption?

When your doing the CYA test, it should be done outdoors with full sun and the sun at your back. Hold the test tube at waist height. When the black dot disappears take your reading. Also let the pool water sample come to room temp since your water is a little cold.

On 10/24 you stated your CYA was 60. Have you replaced any water since then ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.