New pool in Houston (actually League City), TX

Molten

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 30, 2013
League City, TX
New pool was just completed. Plastered Jan 4th, filled Jan 5th, Pool school on Jan 9th.

Measurements as of today look pretty good to me:

FC – 3.5
CC - .5
pH – 7.5
TA – 70? (started changing @ 3 drops but completely cleared by 7 and the 8th drop made no difference.)
CH – 375 (A little high. Should I worry about this? Tap water is 175.)
CYA – 50? (It was pretty Darn hard to see @ 70-80 but it was for sure completely obscured by 45-50. Water was a little cold so I let it warm up to 70.)
Borates – 0 for now but would like to add them at some point.

Water is clear but there’s still a fair amount of sand or dirt on the bottom of the pool. I think that’s just been getting blown in from the yard. Sod went in yesterday so I expect it to calm down now.

We did an acid startup on it and the pool school guy dumped some baking soda and has me using Trichlor tabs in the strainer. I added 4lbs of stabilizer after he left (I guess he was just going to wait for the trichlor to bring it up?) CYA was unmeasureable 3 days after he left and FC was less than 1. I ended up adding another 8lbs of baking soda to bring up TA which was only 20 3 days after he left. I think I neutralized it about right with the Muriatic acid because the PH has settled right @ 7.5 for the past 24 hours. Prior to that it was swing around pretty good. CC has me a little concerned but I don’t know if I should be…

If my CYA is correct, I’m a little low on Chlorine. Would now be an appropriate time to ditch the trichlor and go to bleach or should I stick with trichlor to raise CYA a little more? I have 4 more lbs of stabilizer so I can always use that. Also, I just added the CYA Sunday through the skimmer. It may not be fully done dissolving. I thought I read somewhere that it can take several days.

Somewhat related, when can I stop running the pump 24/7? The trichlor is in the strainer so that doesn’t seem like the best pace for it when the pump is off. If I’m going to start letting the pump stay off for a while, I think I’ll just switch straight to bleach.

What sort of pump run time should I be shooting for initially? I was going to do 8 hours for now. I’ve got a large pump and a small pool. Electricity is pretty cheap here so I don’t want to be overly conservative and there’s still a fair amount of debris in the pool.

Which brings me to my question on vacuuming. OK to start that now? I’m burned out on the brushing already so adding in another chore doesn’t seem fun but I want to start getting some of that junk off the bottom.

Finally, when should I look at adding borates? After salt?

Welcome to TFP. Congratulations on your new pool. Post pics when you get a chance. :cool:

This may sound a little off putting but you need to defer to your pool builder for initial start up, run times, brushing/sweeping and chemical additions to the water to protect your warrenty on the finish. Others will be by shortly to add any pertinent info I have left out but... the rule of thumb when it comes to start up on new pools is to defer to the builders during the start up. :goodjob:

I'm not offput very easily! The builder has given all sorts of conflicting info. Initial packet during pool build says one thing, pool school guy says another, post build package has a 3rd set of guidelines.

I had a hard enough time getting them to show up during the build, I doubt they have the organizational skills to analyze my post startup procedures. I'm lucky enough to get a return phone call on a warranty issue. I'll just tell them what they want to hear!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.