Question about pool sweep

egp

Jun 20, 2008
I have an old Polaris pool sweep - so old there is no model number. It is probably a 180 or equivalent. It still works OK but I need to replace all the hoses and bags. It could probably use a tune up kit also. That brings the $ close to the price of a new 280, so I was considering buying the new unit. Is that a reasonable upgrade or is there another option I should consider?

Just found this forum a couple of weeks ago and have learned more here in that time than 15 years of dealing with a local pool retailer.

35,000 gal plaster pool.

Welcome egp,
I'm not a pool sweep expert, but there are a ton of options out there these days. Is yours a pressure or suction side cleaner? If pressure side, do you have a booster pump? Just some things to know before giving you a recommendation.

The old Polaris is a pressure side system, looks like the current Polaris 180. It is powered by a booster pump which is installed and operating. The whole system is functional and does a decent job in 2 to 3 hours per day. The hoses are somewhat stiff from age and need replacement. The sweep hose also needs replacement as do the collection bags.

If I am going to spend that much I just wonder if I would be better off upgrading. I feel sure there have been design improvements since the old sweep was installed, probably more that 20 years ago. I've never really been displeased with the old system, but it makes sense to look at what is available today. There is so much that I was hoping to get some advice.

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.