Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about pool sweep

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about pool sweep

I have an old Polaris pool sweep - so old there is no model number. It is probably a 180 or equivalent. It still works OK but I need to replace all the hoses and bags. It could probably use a tune up kit also. That brings the $ close to the price of a new 280, so I was considering buying the new unit. Is that a reasonable upgrade or is there another option I should consider?

Just found this forum a couple of weeks ago and have learned more here in that time than 15 years of dealing with a local pool retailer.

35,000 gal plaster pool.
    20x40 ig with vinyl liner, sand filter, aquabot cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Katy, TX

Re: Question about pool sweep

Welcome egp,
    I'm not a pool sweep expert, but there are a ton of options out there these days. Is yours a pressure or suction side cleaner? If pressure side, do you have a booster pump? Just some things to know before giving you a recommendation.
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Question about pool sweep

The old Polaris is a pressure side system, looks like the current Polaris 180. It is powered by a booster pump which is installed and operating. The whole system is functional and does a decent job in 2 to 3 hours per day. The hoses are somewhat stiff from age and need replacement. The sweep hose also needs replacement as do the collection bags.

If I am going to spend that much I just wonder if I would be better off upgrading. I feel sure there have been design improvements since the old sweep was installed, probably more that 20 years ago. I've never really been displeased with the old system, but it makes sense to look at what is available today. There is so much that I was hoping to get some advice.

20x40 ig with vinyl liner, sand filter, aquabot cleaner.