Calcium(?) buildup in my salt generator

Jul 2, 2012
Cupertino,CA
Mod edit: Please only make one post for each subject. People who can help will find it in whatever sub-forum you post it in. I have deleted you other topic. Thanks, moderator linen

I have a Jandy aquapure 1400 that I have had to change because of cell failure. Though I admit that I probably didn't acid wash it frequently enough, I was disappointed that the cell only lasted 3 years.
I have just installed a new cell and am looking for suggestions for reducing the calcium build-up.

The local pool supply store has recommended using a borate product that lists, among many other benefits, the prolonged life of salt cells.

I'd like to get some input before I do this. If cell life if my main concern (currently), would a borate product be a good solution? Are there other solutions to reducing calcium issues?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

PS, I will post the same question in the chemical forum as well, as my question regards both the salt generator and possibly using chemicals to help it.

Re: Calcium (?) build-up in my salt cell

The use of 50 ppm Borates buffers the pH to reduce the rate of pH rise. Roughly speaking, it cuts down the amount of pH rise in half at the hydrogen gas generation plate in the SWG cell. So yes, the use of Borates help reduce calcium carbonate scaling in the SWG cell. Maintaining a somewhat lower Calcite Saturation Index also helps.

3 years is on the short end for cell life, how big is your pool?

Are you following the tfp recommendations for chemical levels? See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator

Many of us on here rarely need to do acid cleaning of our cells by keeping our pools in the ranges mentioned in the link.

Borates can help, but you should get your TA down to 80 ppm before adding them. Most likely the ps version of borates will be significantly more expensive then boric acid you can buy online or the other alternative of using borax and Muriatic acid to raise borate levels. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/so-you-want-to-add-borates-to-your-pool-why-and-how-t4921.html

Post your latest measurements for TA, ph, CH, cya, salt level and we may be able to help you reduce the likelihood for cell scaling.

Thanks for the quick replies, folks.
The pool is small.
11,000 gallon
plaster
aquapure 1400
solar and gas heat
Pentair 320 cartridge filter
2 HP pump
spa, with air pump
Jandy PDA

No, I have not been following the tfp recommendations.
I have been way too complacent about maintaining chemicals, and now am paying the price.
I will do a complete water test this weekend and post the results

Thanks again for the replies.
I'll be back

Mike

I'm back and interested in your advice.
Linen suggested that I post the recent test results.
Salt - 2500
CH- 250
CYA- 70
TA- 160
pH- 8.0

In addition, I found that my phosphates are high.(250)

I have spent some time this week with the "pool math calculator".
I know that I have to add acid to correct the pH and TA. I have some phosphate additive. (Phosfree) to bring that count down.
What I am really interested in though, is suggestions for reducing future cell scaling.
My new cell is working, and I am thrilled. I'd like to keep it that way.

TIA,

Mike

Keeping ph down (below 7.8) and lowering TA will help with reducing cell scaling. Shoot for 70-80 ppm for TA as the swg balance pool school article suggests. If you still get cell scaling after that, then trying borates might make sense.

Too high of pH and TA are causing the scaling in the cell. Use the ranges that the others have said and the scaling will be reduced. For now, check the cell monthly and gently clean the scale off with a piece of wood such as a chop stick. Only use acid when the scale does not come off with the chop stick. Borates will help to reduce the scaling also, but monthly checks will help prevent the large build up of scale.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.