New Pool, Just got 1st test. Need help????

Jan 13, 2014
Hi to All:

Just finished new pool last month. Got first test today with some crazy numbers.
Pool is in-ground approximately 12,500 gallons. Has Pentair variable speed pump (low 750rpm to 3400 rmp), Haywood sand filter , infloor cleaning system, haywood salt water generator system, plaster with blue pebble finish. Live in Panama City, Fl (Northwest FL).

Pool Analysis: (ppm)
FC- 2.0
TC- 2.0
ph- 8.0
TA- 45
CH- 500
CYA- 50
Salt- 4,800

What is the best way to get the Salt down and the CH down and other numbers up?
Guy at pool store said, I might need to replace about a 1/3 of pool water and retest numbers.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Paul (GO NOLES)

Welcome to TFP!

Nothing to get too worried about. If those are pool store numbers, be very wary of taking any action based on them. Pool store testing is notoriously inaccurate.

If the numbers are verified by good testing, water replacement may be required to get the salt and calcium down where they should be.

Your focus in the short term should be on your pH and your chlorine. New plaster and a SWCG both drive pH up, and the best way to protect from high CH is to keep your pH in the lower part of the normal range. Chlorine may be raised to the 3-5ppm range by turning up your SWCG or by increasing your pump run time.

You will be money ahead by getting your own test kit so you can get accurate results when you need them. Check into the recommended kits at pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison I'd recommend the TF-100 because of the service Dave and Meg provide. You'll have it faster. It will save you many times its price.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

As JohnT said, you need verifiable and repeatable test results. The best investment we made in our pool was one of the recommended test kits. The TF100 is the best bang for the buck and the service is fantastic.
Link in my sig.

If you can confirm that the TA is 45ish, you should use baking soda to raise it to about 70. You can use the PoolMath calculator (link in my sig) to help figure all chemical doses. It can also help you calculate the amount of water replacement to reduce the salt and CH.

It is best to not make any big adjustments all at once. Post any questions here and someone will be around to help.

Do you have a pic of your pool for us? :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.