Low pressure pump pressure

Jan 23, 2013
Kingwood, TX
I have a few problems, but they may all be related to one issue and I wanted to get yalls opinion. I noticed that my Polaris had not been as mobile since the weather turned cold. This is my first winter with a pool and I just figured it moved slower in cold weather. Then I noticed that one of my jets did not seem to be as powerful as the rest and had some large bubbles coming from it at pump start up that dissipate over time. This particular jet is the farthest from the pump. The others may be weaker as well, but this one is most obvious. I went to the pump to investigate and I noticed that my pump pressure was on the low side, around 5 psi, where clean and normal seems to be around 10-12. I looked for any major leaks and didn't notice any. The pump sounds normal with no new/weird noises. There was a fairly large air mass at the top of the pump basket lid. I shut everything down, and attempted to get a better seal. After restarting the air mass was slightly smaller, but larger than I think it should be. From some of the posts Ive read here, there should be little or no air. My first step is going to be replacing the pump basket lid gasket as is has caused me trouble in the past. I just wanted to see if anyone had any other recommendations before I call for a repair man.

My only other concern, is that we recently had a hard freeze (for Houston anyway) where the temps stayed in the twenties for several hours. I did cover the pump and exposed piping, but out of ignorance I didn't even think to just run the pump during this time. I don't believe that this caused any problems as I don't see any evidence of a cracked pipe such as leaks or soggy ground.

Long story short
-slow moving/weak Polaris
-one or two weak jets- one with large bubbles
-air in pump basket

I have cut power to the pump, and Ill have to focus on this on Wednesday, as Ill be at work for 24 hours tomorrow. Ill take any advice or criticism anyone has.

Thank you in advance for the help.
Jeremy

It's possible that one or more joints got comprimised during the freeze. I'd check the drain plugs on the pump and the inlet fitting to the pump basket as well as any valve stems and other fittings. Sometimes it's hard to find where a small air leak is coming from.

Re. the Polaris, my experience is that the feed hose gets stiff at temps below ~75o F. Stiff hose appears to negatively affect both speed & maneuverability (reduced speed and loss of maneuverability). I don't know if there's any fix for this, other than a warmer water operating environment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.