uloset

Jul 11, 2013
Central New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Well I purchased my house over the summer and assumed the pump was wired to a 240v circuit. Well after inspecting my wiring for another project I realized that it is on a 120v circuit and the ga is way to small considering the run and amps. Basically I am left with 2 options, either change it over to 240v which will put the ga into proper operating range or run 100 feet or so of thick wire through old metal underground conduits. My personal feeling is change it over to 240v would be the much smarter option, but I'd like to ask for some outside opinions on the subject. Thanks

What size is the existing wire? Did you actually use a wire gauge or micrometer to measure it?
How far is the run from the breaker box to the pump?
Is this a pool pump or well pump?
How many wires are running from the breaker panel to the pump?

How long has this setup been running as it is?
I think I would agree that sticking with a 230V pump would be the best option. Reason being, if you were to upgrade to a 2-speed or VS pump (for the electrical savings), they are almost all 230V.

FYI, I have a 100 foot 12awg 230V circuit that supplies ALL my equipment power with smaller subpanel (pump, SWG, automation, pool light) When I was looking for a new pump, I quickly realized that going to a 115V pump was never going to be a good idea given the small wire size feeding the subpanel.

I hope to eventually run new wire to the subpanel and have enough for a future hot tub.

It is 12 ga I have access to the wire inside the house and it is 12/2 with ground (3 total wires).

The run to the pump from the box is roughly 100 feet 20-25 feet inside the rest underground. The line is wired to the timer, which is inside next to the breaker box and then directly to locking style 3 prong outlet that powers the pump.

Yes, this is a pool pump, sorry forget to mention that. Wasn't sure if I should put this in the pump section or here.

The 12/2 only supplies the the pump and is on its own 20amp breaker. Which is actually too small for a Hayward Super Pump 1.5hp as it pulls roughly 18.6 amps @ 120v already over the 80% which a 20amp breaker truly is rated for.

Luckily a super pump can be rewired to 230v.

Surprisingly jblizzle this setup has been running for the previous owner anywhere from 42 to 16 years. I say this since I'm not sure if any rewiring was done when he had the pool revamped in 96, but the pool was originally built in 72-73. Though I'm sure he was gone through a few pumps in all those years. If memory serves me correct he has been using this pump for 9 years or so.

Since it is a dedicated circuit for the pump, you should be able to just re-purpose the common wire and wire the pump for 230V ... Disclaimer: check your local codes if that is approved ;)

There is other 120v equipment at the pad and around the pool, but it is all on another separate circuit/breaker. I think the timer can be wired for both 240 or 120, it just needs 120 to run the timer itself (could be wrong on this).

If the timer needs 120 to run then the wiring will need to be replaced. Once you remark and use the white as a power feed you will no longer have a neutral for the 120. BTW, a 20 amp breaker is rated for 20 amps, not 80% of 20 amps. The 80% comes in when you are determining if the load is considered a continuous load or not. Any load that is on for more than 3 hours at a time is considered a continuous load. This may apply here as most pumps run longer than that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.