Hayward Tristar VS

Dec 25, 2011
Charleston, SC
Is there anyone that has the Tristar VS already? What do you think?

I can only find the Tristar model above online in one place. (http://www.polytecpools.com/hayward-tri ... 10842.html) Anyone else know where I can find it? Hayward rep said they only found it there as well. Its so new that I am having trouble find it.

Looking to install one of the three pumps
Hayward Max-Flo 2300VSP (Found online for $609)
Hayward Tristar SP3200VSP (Found online for $899)
Hayward Superpump 2600VSP (Found online for $665)
and am leaning towards the Tristar due to its programming capabilities. If I got the superpump or maxflo, that would mean I had to manually switch settings when I wanted another flowrate, correct? I have only a mechanical timer right now.

If I were to install a VSP, do most folks operate it at a high rpm for just a couple hours (maybe with the robotic cleaner and booster pump) and then operate at a lower rpm for the remainder of the day? Hence the need for the extra programming, correct?

Thanks in advance for all your replies.

If you currently only have a 1HP pump, the smaller cheaper VS should be plenty.

No you do not have to manually change the speeds. You would use the timer to turn it on and off and it would run through a set of speeds for a set amount of time. Here is a brief post about how they work:
pool-pump-replacement-questions-from-a-newbie-t72697.html#p604577

Many people run on high for a short period of time (for a cleaner or skimming) and then on low for most of the time the pump is on.

Yep.....all VS pumps are 230, so now unless you currently have a Hayward SuperPump, then it looks like the MaxFlo is still your best fit. The plumbing for the SuperPump is the same for both the non-VS as well as the VS, so for many the extra cost can be justified by not having to redo any plumbing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.