Thanks to anyone who may be able to help.
We are accepting bids for a new pool/spa project in the Southeast. Due to the shape and size of our yard, all three bids have pretty much the same design and have come in at a very similar price. However, there are considerable variations in equipment, particularly in regards to pumps.
-14 x 38 foot (L-shaped), 22-25,000 gallons.
-115 ft perimeter
-570-585 square feet pool
-3 ft to 7 ft deep
-950 sq ft of decking
- 7 x 7 ft square spa with 2 foot spillover waterfall.
- 3 multicolor LED lights in pool (2 in pool, 1 in spa)
- Polaris 280 with ¾ hp booster pump
- Pumps below
PB 1 - Jandy Stealth Dual Speed 2 HP (PB 1 did offer to change his to a variable speed if we wanted for no additional charge. He did not initially include this on the estimate, because he said they've had problems with the Jandy VS pumps in the past)
PB 2 - Jandy EPump Variable Speed 2.0HP
PB 3 - Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed.
Here are my questions.
1. Our electrical bills can get pretty high in the summer, so I'm looking at energy savings. Is there a big difference between the energy consumption of a Dual Speed vs Variable speed? Do these options seem powerful enough for both pool and spa? Any red flags with any of these options?
2. Our heat source is natural gas and we will definitely want to heat our pool (wife and kids hate cold water). All of our quotes come with a 400K BTU heater. One of the builders recommended a Heat Pump upgrade ($5K) while the other two did not. Does this seem like a worthwhile upgrade?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.