SOCAL Pool refurbish help needed

May 3, 2013
I have been lurking here for sometime now and have a better understanding of the basics.

Ok have house with first pool. Pool is approx built in 1970 and may have orig plaster. Plaster looks fine to me after understanding the mottling and minor hairline cracks may be normal. No real cracks or delimitation at all.

Problem is the tile line is bulging near the coping and 75% of the coping are loose.

5 Companies with 5 opinions. One wants to drain the pool and cut a line below the tile to replace just the tile and reset the coping. Of course there is the possibility of damaging the plaster and then having to do it all.

I am going with white or light gray plaster. Do you think it is possible to remove the tile without destroying the plaster? I am wondering if it is just their way of locking in he job. We are talking about $3500 vs $8k so it is a fairly large difference. I would love to use the money for other items around the pool. My thought process is they are going to dump all the debris onto the plaster in the process. Also this will be the 2nd time it was drained in 2 years.

If anybody has a reference in San Diego shoot me a PM.

Welcome to the forum, and sorry for the slow replies.

Honestly, it sounds like you could use a refinish. If you can bite that bullet and go all the way with it, you'll never regret it. Going with a different finish color and the rest will make it like a whole new pool.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Coping and tile can certainly be reset without plaster damage. I'm not sure why you think it will be difficult.

More importantly, what caused the tile and coping to break loose because it will do so again if you don't fix the source of that movement.

Why was the pool drained 2 years ago?

It was drained before I bought it. I believe the realtor/flipper acid washed it to brighten it up.

My initial thought was to go dark but I think the white or light gray will be the best bet as the mottling will bother the wife. I don't like the pebble texture and 4 out of five pool cos said to stick with the plaster.

I would say at least 50% of the coping is loose and the reason for the tile popping. Plus it was built in the 70's and is all original.

I have to say a pool remodel is a tough decision as there is not one pool co that has a great report or record. I am going to assume most of it is due to the nature of plaster and how it looks. I think people expect a painted perfect look and it doesn't come out that way. Then add all the sublet trades and scheduling and it is a disaster waiting to happen. Well see. I will document the repairs here.

I would strongly consider a good quartz finish. Smoother and cheaper than pebble finish and much more long lasting and durable than plain plaster.

Good luck with it, and let us know how it goes.

A thought if you go with plaster -

Anything other than while plaster will show mottling. Light gray plaster will surely have a noticeable mottling to it.

Best of luck and we look forward to your pictures!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.