Booster Pump gone bad after pipes burst?

Good Morning all..

I have a Polaris PB460 Booster pump for a sidewall cleaning system. Last week, we had temps dip to Zero degrees in North Geogria and the 3/4" inlet line that feeds my booster froze and cracked into millions of pieces. I've replaced the 3/4" pvc and ensured all valves, etc. are back open to the Booster Pump. When I power the pump up, it's not moving water at all. I've also ensured that there's no vapor lock, and that the pump is getting water by removing the Prime plug and seeing waterflow. When the pump powers up, it kicks on normally but isn't pushing water. I've not let it run long enough to get hot, well, no longer than 5 minutes or so. When the pipe burst, theres a good chance that the pump kicked on while we were away, and it being an inlet pipe, I'd say there was no water getting to it.

Is it possible the pump is now "Burned up" and needs to be replaced?

Thanks in advance!

Jim

Welcome to TFP.

It's possible but not probable if it's running normally and not leaking. How is it plumbed? Is it on it's on plumbing circuit or does it branch off the main pump?

If it's on it's own circuit, you could have an air leak that you haven't found and that would cause it not to prime.

Hi Dave.. Thanks for the reply. As for the booster being on its own circuit; I'd so it isn't based on this: When the main filter is on, there is a small amount of pressured water coming from the pool side outlet when the booster isn't on. Having said that, when the booster is activated, the main pump must also be on too. Also, I'm not able to engage the sauna Water Fall is the booster is on either.

One thing I failed to mention earlier is that when the inlet pipe to the booster froze up and broke, the water drained all the way to just below the outlet on the side wall which is about 12" below normal "full pool". The adapter that connects the hose the the Polaris cleaner snapped off leaving a hole which I'm assuming is where the water enters the pipe to feed the booster.

Also, when I repaired everything it should be noted that I did ensure the repaired pipe was properly placed back to the center of the booster. My wife is telling me that when we engaged the booster for the 1st time after the repair, the cleaner DID work properly but then stopped. Almost 2 minutes after starting the pump back for the 1st time. Since then, it's acting like it won't push water at all. We've removed the cleaner from the side wall connection and with the main filter on, we feel water being pushed slightly but not enough to engage the cleaner. We then engage the booster and there is no change in the pressure at all.

Sorry for any typos; I'm on my cell phone!

Thanks again!

Jim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.