Hayward Chlorinator CL200 O-Ring seems to last not very long

Jul 13, 2012
The original O-ring died and since then I seem to be going through these Ebay o-rings that cost $5 every 4 months or so. Not bad but it can be a pain in the Rear if you are traveling and having to replace it all the time. Any ideas?

Re: Hayward Chlorinator CL200 O-Ring seems to last not very

One idea that most people on the forum would recommend ... ditch the chlorinator and switch to liquid chlorine. :mrgreen:

Are you in Florida? What is your CYA? I suppose if you get enough rain and are backwashing your pool often you "might" be able to keep the CYA from getting too high.

I'm replacing mine about once every 4 months. For me, that's a new one at season start and a replacement in about August to last til the end of the season. A tip I learned late last year was to only use a non-petroleum based lubricant (teflon, silicon, Jack's multilube) when you lubricate the o-ring. Maybe that'll get me to one per season. We'll see....

BTW, I noticed an eBay ad for 10 of these o-rings for $29.99 - a bit cheaper than the $5 each you cited.

Good luck!

If you can get your hands on o-rings made of viton rubber you may have some better longetivity. Viton is most resistant to chlorine. Most off the shelf o-rings are typically made of SBR or EPDM rubber, which are fine for sealing for water, but are more subject to chemical attack from the chlorine.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.