Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Chlorinator CL200 O-Ring seems to last not very long

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward Chlorinator CL200 O-Ring seems to last not very long

The original O-ring died and since then I seem to be going through these Ebay o-rings that cost $5 every 4 months or so. Not bad but it can be a pain in the *** if you are traveling and having to replace it all the time. Any ideas?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward Chlorinator CL200 O-Ring seems to last not very

One idea that most people on the forum would recommend ... ditch the chlorinator and switch to liquid chlorine.

Are you in Florida? What is your CYA? I suppose if you get enough rain and are backwashing your pool often you "might" be able to keep the CYA from getting too high.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, Florida. I found liquid chlorine to be too time consuming. All you do is go back and forth from the pool store.

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm replacing mine about once every 4 months. For me, that's a new one at season start and a replacement in about August to last til the end of the season. A tip I learned late last year was to only use a non-petroleum based lubricant (teflon, silicon, Jack's multilube) when you lubricate the o-ring. Maybe that'll get me to one per season. We'll see....

BTW, I noticed an eBay ad for 10 of these o-rings for $29.99 - a bit cheaper than the $5 each you cited.

Good luck!
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

If you can get your hands on o-rings made of viton rubber you may have some better longetivity. Viton is most resistant to chlorine. Most off the shelf o-rings are typically made of SBR or EPDM rubber, which are fine for sealing for water, but are more subject to chemical attack from the chlorine.....
    Mesa, AZ Spillover spa and inground pool, 12,500 G, pebble finish, Hayward C5030 (525sf) Cartridge Filter, Hayward EcoStar VS Pump, Installed July 2013, Hayward SWG T-Cell-15, Trident UV (I know, I know....was installed before I found this site!) Rock grotto waterfall, LED ColorLogic lighting, 110 BTU Heat Pro Electric Heat Pump, Maytronics Dolphin Supreme M5 cleaner, TF-100 test kit with Speed Stir.