help! need new filter

Mine did the same thing this summer, i replaced it with a hayward DE filter,
They sell them by Sq. Ft. .. Your old one should say how many .. 48,64 , 72 are commen.
pentair also makes a good one..
Determine size you need and shop around. i have never used a pentair filter, I have had 2 haywards over the years and the work well and are easy to find parts for.

You link did not work for me to a specific filter.

What size was your current DE filter?
What size and model pump do you have?

Given the size of the pool and that you are open year round, getting a pretty good size filter will reduce the frequency of cleaning.
So rough sizing would be:
300+ sqft cartridge
30"+ diameter sand
60+ sqft DE

Depending on your pump size, bigger would not really hurt anything but costing a bit more money.

my original one is 60 sqft. i was looking at the hayward and pentairs, and it looks like hayward is cheaper.

anyone know if its easy to install with existing copper piping 2"? was thinking of cutting and joining it to pvc. I'm pretty handy but want some advice with this.

i have a old school purex AH-8 pump. it works fine but its old single speed. that may get replaced later.

lol the plaster job isn't finished yet so ill have to get this asap. does anyone know if you can leave a finished plaster job for several days without pumping water in?

You need to get the pool completely full immediately after the plaster job if that is what you mean.
You also want to get the plaster particles in the water filtered out pretty quickly as well or they will stick and make the surface rough (unless you brush often to keep everything suspended in the water).

jblizzle said:
You need to get the pool completely full immediately after the plaster job if that is what you mean.
You also want to get the plaster particles in the water filtered out pretty quickly as well or they will stick and make the surface rough (unless you brush often to keep everything suspended in the water).

they will be doing startup and brushing for me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.