Does newly sprayed gunite have to be watered in the winter

Re: Does newly sprayed gunite have to be watered in the wint

Backyard Haven said:
Does the gunite still have to be watered in the wintertime to help with curing? My build is in a suburb of Memphis. PB said you shouldn't have to and he uses a 7 bag mix.

I am in a Memphis suburb as well, and no watering taking place outside of the rain.

I would have rather water the Darn out of it, than scrub the plaster twice a day in 30's weather. Brrrrrrr. my hands are still numb.

Thanks for the replies. PB says either this week or next week we will outline the pool in my backyard for my review then excavation begins. It is crazy temps here daytime highs 40 to 50's and lows at night in the 30 to 20's. I am a little worried about the gunite curing with such temperature fluctuations. Maybe the temperatures will be more consistent by the time they spray the gunite.

Our pool was shot at 27 degrees (the high for the day), with big variations after that - and no watering - just rain. It hasn't cracked open yet! Was there any effect, dunno. Not worried, life it too short.

bmoreswim said:
Our pool was shot at 27 degrees (the high for the day), with big variations after that - and no watering - just rain. It hasn't cracked open yet! Was there any effect, dunno. Not worried, life it too short.

I like your outlook and you are right, it's way too short......and you sure won't stop it anyway. It's funny though, down here the plant won't send out a mix if it's less than 32F.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

That would make sense about not sending it out since they wouldn't be as well practiced in making any required adjustments to the mix. Better to just wait a day or two.

Not to hijack your thread, Backyard Haven, but I am really worried about this, too. My father-in-law is telling me not to let PB do any concrete work if the 3 day forecast dips below 40 degrees, he says the concrete will not cure properly and will have a much-shortened lifespan (we are rehabbing an existing pool, so this is not the shell concrete, don't know if that is different). Of course, icy weather delays have put us way behind schedule and now that it is dry (but COLD - 3 day low is 25) PB wants to pour concrete coping and decking. Google seems to agree with my father-in-law and not the PB.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.