Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does newly sprayed gunite have to be watered in the winter

1. Back To Top    #1

Does newly sprayed gunite have to be watered in the winter

Does the gunite still have to be watered in the wintertime to help with curing? My build is in a suburb of Memphis. PB said you shouldn't have to and he uses a 7 bag mix.
    96 foot Perimeter 34' x 19' x 15' gunite pool with 400k heater and 7 foot spa
    5 Returns, 2 heating returns, 2 skimmers, 2 main drains
    Diamond Brite Super Blue plaster
    Pentair intellichlor IC 40 SWG with Delta UV with CC520 cartridge filter
    Two Intelliflo VS 3 HP pumps

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does newly sprayed gunite have to be watered in the wint

PB had me water mine twice a day and temps were in the 40's and high 30's - got lucky a few days when it rained.
    Finally Done! - 21x34 IG, SWCG, depth - 3.6 - 4.6 - 6.6, Pentair IntelliFlow 3050 vs+svrs, 60 sq ft Pentair DE Filter, 400k BTU Heater, Polaris 280 w/.75 hp booster pump, Pentair EasyTouch wireless, 38 sq ft raised spa, wet edge Barbados quartz finish - ODK w/36 in Napoleon grill

3. Back To Top    #3

It is probably still a good idea, and can't possibly hurt.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Backyard Haven
    Does the gunite still have to be watered in the wintertime to help with curing? My build is in a suburb of Memphis. PB said you shouldn't have to and he uses a 7 bag mix.
    I am in a Memphis suburb as well, and no watering taking place outside of the rain.

5. Back To Top    #5

I would have rather water the **** out of it, than scrub the plaster twice a day in 30's weather. Brrrrrrr. my hands are still numb.

6. Back To Top    #6

Mines an 8 bag mix completed last week, and he had us wetting for the first three days. After that, it doesn't matter, it's done.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the replies. PB says either this week or next week we will outline the pool in my backyard for my review then excavation begins. It is crazy temps here daytime highs 40 to 50's and lows at night in the 30 to 20's. I am a little worried about the gunite curing with such temperature fluctuations. Maybe the temperatures will be more consistent by the time they spray the gunite.

8. Back To Top    #8

Don't worry, it will be fine. Also, the cement plant won't send it out if it's too cold.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Our pool was shot at 27 degrees (the high for the day), with big variations after that - and no watering - just rain. It hasn't cracked open yet! Was there any effect, dunno. Not worried, life it too short.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreswim
    Our pool was shot at 27 degrees (the high for the day), with big variations after that - and no watering - just rain. It hasn't cracked open yet! Was there any effect, dunno. Not worried, life it too short.
    I like your outlook and you are right, it's way too short......and you sure won't stop it anyway. It's funny though, down here the plant won't send out a mix if it's less than 32F.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

That would make sense about not sending it out since they wouldn't be as well practiced in making any required adjustments to the mix. Better to just wait a day or two.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

12. Back To Top    #12

Lucky they have not begun excavation yet. Since supposedly another arctic vortex is coming.

13. Back To Top    #13

Not to hijack your thread, Backyard Haven, but I am really worried about this, too. My father-in-law is telling me not to let PB do any concrete work if the 3 day forecast dips below 40 degrees, he says the concrete will not cure properly and will have a much-shortened lifespan (we are rehabbing an existing pool, so this is not the shell concrete, don't know if that is different). Of course, icy weather delays have put us way behind schedule and now that it is dry (but COLD - 3 day low is 25) PB wants to pour concrete coping and decking. Google seems to agree with my father-in-law and not the PB.
    35,000 gallon gunite pool, semi-T-shaped, 29x15 shallow end and 16x22 deep end, built in the mid-1970s and renovated 2013-2014 // Polaris 9300 Sport robotic cleaner // Taylor K-2006 ... Learning as we go and so grateful to everyone here for their help! Our reno thread