Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE Filter - is piping wrong?

1. Back To Top    #1

DE Filter - is piping wrong?

We have a Pentair DE filter (FNSP60) with a Pentair multiport valve (SM-20-3). The pool was installed one year prior by the previous home owner. DE is inside the grids. We replaced the entire grid unit thinking the DE was getting inside because the grids were busted but the grids filled with DE again. Today, with the filter cover off, I placed the multiport valve in the filter position and turned the pump on. Water entered inside the grids and puffs them out. I'm assuming the water is entered the filter incorrectly. The spider gasket on the multiport valve is in placed and in good condition. Thought maybe the handle on the multiport valve was incorrect so removed the pin and changed the position of the handle. Water then entered the filter at the bottom but then exits on the ground as though i was backwashing.

I'm wondering if the pool was piped incorrectly at installation.

Thanks for you'll help!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: DE Filter - is piping wrong?

Welcome to TFP!
    Sure sounds backwards to filter mode, it should not puff up the grids. Can you post some pictures of the setup?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

The SM 20-3 multiport is for a sand filter. It's the wrong multiport valve.

The correct valve would be the SM 20-2

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you soooo much for the help!! I really appreciate you'll help. It's nice after 2 years to have finally gotten an answer to our problem.