Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Preparing for RO.

1. Back To Top    #1

Preparing for RO.

I have arranged for RO treatment of my pool due to CYA=300 and CH=950. I was wondering what things I should do before the RO and to prepare for the process. I was thinking of cleaning the calcium deposits on the spa overflow and water feature. Anything else people can suggest?

Thank you.
    20k gal, IG gunnite plaster + spa, 2 HP Whisperflo pump, Pentair 520 sq ft catridge filter
    Pentair Min Max NT heater. Intelli-touch i5 controller, Ultrapure ozone (currently disabled), Rainbow 320 chlorinator
    Small water feature, Water slide. Poolvergnuegen 2WD suction cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Preparing for RO.

I don't think they can do it if the water is cloudy and green. I don't think there is anything you "have" to do before they come, but probably should ask them.

You sure that replacing the water is not the cheaper stilton?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I would suggest asking your RO provider what they want you to do. Some require there be no chlorine in the water (some RO membranes break down when chlorine is present, however some of the newer ones are much more chlorine resistant ), in general they all require the water to be clear and not cloudy, etc.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

When I spoke with the RO company they did not request any preparation. Their biggest concern is getting the CYA down, as their machine uses TDS to determine when the water is "clean". They mainly deal with high CH issues in our area so are not completely sure how CYA acts on TDS. I was not planning on adding any more chemicals to the water until they come in a weeks time. My question was more about what other tasks would be useful to do. For example cleaning the calcium deposits my thoughts being that any spill over into the pool will be removed by the RO.

As for draining the pool, I estimate that would be much less expensive than the RO, but my area is low on water, so I don't it is reasonable to dump 20,000 gal of water.
    20k gal, IG gunnite plaster + spa, 2 HP Whisperflo pump, Pentair 520 sq ft catridge filter
    Pentair Min Max NT heater. Intelli-touch i5 controller, Ultrapure ozone (currently disabled), Rainbow 320 chlorinator

5. Back To Top    #5

What you want to doing is fine, but my question for you is, do you understand why the CYA got so high and what do you plan on doing to keep it from getting too high again?
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

We have been in this house less than 2 months. The previous owner had the pool maintained by a "pool guy" so I guess the high CYA is due to heavy use of tablets (there is an auto chlorinator on the pool). I have been using liquid chlorine and plan to continue doing so.

7. Back To Top    #7

16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

8. Back To Top    #8

Cya will add very little to overall TDS. Very little.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem