Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: "Extra" gunite

1. Back To Top    #1

Dallas, TX

"Extra" gunite

We're gearing up to have a resurface with new tile and coping installed. We've got an area of steps that we're turning into a bit of a sundeck and pushing the steps out, as well as filling in a spa to create a secondary sundeck as well. The contractor we're pretty much decided on wants to use gunite (half of the bids we got would use gunite)- we're going to be paying a flat fee for a gunite truck to roll out, and we've got lots of "leftover" gunite allocated that we're trying to figure out if there's anything we could do with it... so the question is, what would YOU do? Are rock forms an option? Could I frame out an equipment pad for them to fill in (everyhting's sitting on pavers right now)?

30k gallon IG PebbleSheen refinished 2014
    60sqft FNS Plus DE wih Proguard Cellulose, 1.5hp 2speed WhisperFlo
    TFTestKit and Stenner fixed 10gpd on timer with bleach
    Dolphin m500

2. Back To Top    #2
    Oklahoma City, OK

Re: "Extra" gunite

We considered adding a sundeck, in-pool benches, bumped out steps, etc, with our current remodel but it was over our budget. However, we did dream about what we would do "since the truck would be there anyway" so I see where you're coming from! I think the pad is definitely doable. We also had a retaining wall to be rebuilt at bench height (which was already gunite with a rock facade). Since we aren't getting the gunite truck, it will be concrete block faced with stone, but that may be an option, to create benches or firepit or lounge area.
    35,000 gallon gunite pool, semi-T-shaped, 29x15 shallow end and 16x22 deep end, built in the mid-1970s and renovated 2013-2014 // Polaris 9300 Sport robotic cleaner // Taylor K-2006 ... Learning as we go and so grateful to everyone here for their help! Our reno thread

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't see why you couldn't make a pad from it, but curious why you'll have so much extra.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

4. Back To Top    #4

Central Texas

They elected to use all of the extra gunite and then some in lieu of concrete so end result was all of our flagstone is on a "lifetime" foundation.
    +/-16k gallon IG pebblesheen pool with SWG, spa and waterfall, Hayward 2HP 2-speed Tri-star, Hayward 1.5HP Tri-star, Hayward 5030 Cartridge filter, Hayward H400 Heater, Sharkvac Robotic Cleaner