Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plumbing leaking underground Fix-A-Leak?

1. Back To Top    #1

Plumbing leaking underground Fix-A-Leak?

Is there any way to fix a leak in the plumbing without tearing up the concrete deck?
    The boss recommends a product that you pour into the filter intake that should somehow seal up the leak.
    I looked online and found a product called Fix-A-Leak. Sounds too good to be true.
    Anyone care to chime in with an opinion?
    Thanks for your help!
    46,000 gallon in ground concrete/crystal crete, filter is Pentair Pack Fab 60 DE, freshwater.
    2hp pump. Flow Rate ? 4 return jets, two of which are closed due to a leak in the plumbing
    Water is replaced/replentished using RO water

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plumbing leaking underground Fix-A-Leak?

If the leak is on the suction side (prior to the pump) it won't work. You have to follow the directions exactly, it can ruin your filter if done incorrectly. Read more about it anyone tried fix a leak, fix a leak products, I used marlig liquid fix a leak. You can also search for other threads by entering fix a leak in the google search bar at the top right of each page.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

You can see my saga with it in the last link Zea posted, after repeated attempts it did slow and eventually halt my suction side leak. This did involve capping off and pressuring my suction lines, and flushing them out bypassing the filter after each treatment.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for your input guys. Very helpful. I'm going to get some of this and give it a try. I'll keep you posted with my results. May take a while though, I live in a remote place and won't get the product for some time.

My leak is not between the intake and the pump, but rather the pump and the outflow. Will this make a huge difference in whether the product works and how I need to apply it?

Thanks again!
    46,000 gallon in ground concrete/crystal crete, filter is Pentair Pack Fab 60 DE, freshwater.
    2hp pump. Flow Rate ? 4 return jets, two of which are closed due to a leak in the plumbing
    Water is replaced/replentished using RO water

5. Back To Top    #5

I have a leak, however, only when the system is "on", which indicates a plumbing problem, correct? So... how do I determine if the leak is on the suction side or not? Thank you.
    Barry, Central GA
    15X36 IG 14,200 gal fiberglass pool. Hayward Sand Filter with 1 HP Hayward SUPER PUMP. Pentaire "Kreepy Krawly Robotic Cleaner

e-mail: oso49@cox.net

6. Back To Top    #6

Suction side leaks tend to be worse when the pump is off, pool leaks are the same regardless of pump on or off, and pressure side leaks tend to be worse when the pump is running.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~