Think I got DE in pump basket while cleaning - need advice

Dec 25, 2013
Hello

I just had an incident and would like some advice.

I started cleaning the pool with the manual vacuum and then realized suction had stopped. I went to check the pump and it was filled with lots of the stuff in the photo (white gel type and lots of debris). Is this DE?

I had just installed a float valve in the skimmer basket, and I was using the manual vacuum attached to a skimmer cover over the basket. When I was attaching the cover, the cleaner head happened to be above the main drain. I believe this has something to do with what happened.. perhaps sucked in the reverse direction from the main drain? Or was all this in the main drain somehow? The previous owner did not seem to be using the main drain at all, since did not have the float valve in place.

Anyway, now I'm unsure what if anything I need to do?? I cleaned out the basket, restarted and things appear to be operating normally. The filter pressure is at 12 PSI which is where it was before.

Help!

Attachments

• P1040304.jpg
    P1040304.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 83
Re: Think I got DE in pump basket while cleaning - need advi

That doesn't look anything like DE. I bet it was in the main drain as you suspect. Keep an eye on it, but I'm sure it's fine.
I might even purposefully vacuum the main drain to see if there's anything else in it.

The white stuff in the middle I believe is DE. Its just covered in debris.

Ive been running the pump and the pressure has gone up to about 15PSI (its been a steady 12PSI before this).

Your pump will only produce about 40 psi.
You should clean the filter whenever the pressure rises about 25% above clean pressure. So about 15 psi.

So I figured why the PSI increase... while I had the pump on after this, I figured I would add the PHOSFREE that Leslie's gave me. After some searching its even on the Natural Chemisty website that it will raise PSI but its not on the bottle and the store neglected to mention it either :grrrr: :grrrr: :grrrr:

If it stays at 15PSI, can I leave it be until say 20PSI? (the '10 PSI' increase that most recommend for backwash/clean). At this point I feel like I might not want so many variables, it seems like I just get more problems each step I take :(

I am becoming convinced the junk came from the main drain somehow, but that sure is bizarre and it was so much! Good thing I was there when it happened and was manual vac only, because it clogged the pump basket and it would have run itself dry.

Many thanks..

Since you added the phosfree you need to clean and recharge the filter. In fact, if you've never broken it down and cleaned it good, it might be a good time to do that.

Now I seem to be losing some more water. I did the bucket test again and its about 1/2" a day and its not really been hot here. It was about 1/4" last time I tested this way.

After finishing vacuuming, I did see some large bubbles come up out of the skimmer and push up the plate I had on to vacuum. I am not sure why this happened either.

Is it possible that by dislodging this from the main drain, that it opened up a leak? Perhaps it was all caught in there for a reason-- blocking in a sense an existing leak.

Yep understood. The water inside bucket (measured on inside bucket) hasnt lost any measurable amount in the last day since I started the test. The pool water (measured on outside of bucket), lost about 1/2".

Started the test because it seemed I just filled it on Saturday and it was down again. I estimate from filling on Sat to now its about 1.5" which is also about 1/2" a day. That seems like what it should be more the loss during a warm week?

The bucket is sitting on the first step of the pool. It was overcast and cool yesterday.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

So you have a leak in the pool or plumbing. Next thing to do is run the test with the equipment running and see if it loses more or less than with it off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.